Eamonn Ryan/IRFU Free to Air Debate

Six Nations should be FTA, as it currently is. HC shouldn't. Well I'd prefer if it were of course, same with any big sporting event, I'd prefer if they were all free and I didn't have to pay for 20 odd sports channels just to watch the odd game. However, that's not life.

If all other Associations across Europe were forced to do the same, then fine it's a level playing field, but Ryan's suggesting Ireland is hamstrung against all its competitors. Yeah, lets see how that works out.

The simple fact is that clubs rely heavily on tv revenue, crowds coming through the gates hasn't been the main revenue source for years now in any code.

It's nonsensical to argue that IRFU/FAI have had government funding and so owe us, that argument doesn't wash. Unless those arguing that and happen to currently work in the PS are happy for me, as a tax payer, to come in and sit at their desk, use their PC, maybe even use their car that they get mileage for to get my money back. Or because I got a grant to re-insulate my loft and get a more efficient boiler that you're all free to come around and sit in my house when the heating's on.

Six Nations, yup free to air, couldn't agree more (isn't it already?) HC? Nope.

Or because I got a grant to re-insulate my loft and get a more efficient boiler that you're all free to come around and sit in my house when the heating's on.

Throw in a cup of tea and a digestive buscuit and I am there...

How many people does Eamonn Ryan think will sit down and watch Leinster V Treviso on a Saturday evening on RTE? Do he honestly think 500,000 people will considering they would do well to sell out the ground. If RTE had the rights, they would cherry pick the big games and not show the less galmerous pool games whereas now I can watch every game involving the three teams in the Heineken Cup and sometimes Connaught as well. It's the advantage of dedicated sports channels.

Throw in a cup of tea and a digestive buscuit and I am there...

Jaysus, you want the shirt off my back too?

It's Connaught I'd fear for if this goes ahead, criminally underfunded already, even in Magners league they hardly get a look in unless it's against the bigger teams. Yet despite all this they're slowly chipping away with some improvement each year. The TV money is essential for them.

RTE will just show Leinster and Munster. Ultser and Connaught will get a token showing when they play the other two if Magners League is RTE and for what? For who?

Let's face it, it's only the Six Nations/World Cup and the latter stages of the HC (if there's an Irish interest) that gets any real attention, Magners League even less so.

Outside the national team, it's still a minority sport and so needs the income from TV.

Are you suggesting that the IRFU should not seek to maximise their income? .

This is the kernel of it.

An organisation that receives so many millions from the tax payer - should have a duty to the taxpayer.

If they want to maximise their revenue - let them do it without public money.

TG4 did a great job with the Celtic Leage before Setanta got the rights.

If the IRFU sees itself as a commercial organisation - let all state grants to them be withdrawn.

The large US multi-national I work for gets millions each year in state grants. What do you think encouraged so many international organisations to set up here in the first place? So your suggestion that commercial organisations shouldn't seek or receive state funding is without merit.

Eamon Ryan is 100% right. FG have again shown their true colours.

Spoken (typed?) like a troll...

Spoken (typed?) like a troll...

Many people cannot afford SKY. Does FG think that such people be denied from watching live Sport?

TG4 did a great job with the Celtic League. S4C are doing a great job with the Magners. Does FG favour all sporting events be sold to the highest bidder?

Fair play to Eamon Ryan in standing up to their IRFU and their political buddies.

We get it. Eamonn Ryan and FF good. FG bad.

You still haven't given one good reason why the Euopean Cup should be considered as a major importance to Irish society.

The fact that Eamonn Ryan calls it the Heineken Cup says it all really.

If the Munster team was not of major sporting importance - the taxpayer would not have bothered funding Tomond Park.

If the Munster team was not of major sporting importance - the taxpayer would not have bothered funding Tomond Park.

Why? Did it have nothing to do with creating jobs or other social and economic reasons?

The Irish government funds all sort of minority interest sports and interests. The Munster Rugby team is of national importance in the Peoples Republic of Cork and but in Ireland it is only of regional importance. ;)

One of the issues being debated is whether HEC matches are of 'national importance'. I think it's fair to say that tomorrow's final is not and a pool game featuring Munster playing in Italy is also not of national importance.

So, if SKY & Setanta were to be denied the opportunity to bid for the rights involving Irish teams, or rather 2 of the teams since this would be for RoI only, then the market is limited to RTE or TV3.

If RTE outbid TV3, is that an appropriate use of their income ? If TV3 outbid RTE, people would be complaining about the quality of presentation and analysis. Remember RWC 2007 ?

And then 'cork' could blame if all on Fine Gael :rolleyes: ?

PS I assume you're spelling 'Tomond Park' phonetically ? If so, should it not be 'Tomind' :D ?

Many people cannot afford SKY. Does FG think that such people be denied from watching live Sport?

I'm not affiliated with, nor do I have any allegances to, or affinity with any particular political party, so I can't comment on their policies. Playing party politics is confusing the issue, not addressing it. Should these games be placed on the free-to-air listing?

If the issue here is about people having the right to watch live sport, there are many live games in everyone's locality that they can attend in person and support their local team.

Of course, the quality of the fare on offer in the local park is vastly inferior to that of top-level competitions such as the HC. But much of the reason that these competitions are of such high quality is that they are successful commercial enterprises that rely heavily on TV money. Eliminate that TV money and the quality will inevitably suffer. 12m is a sizeable income stream to replace regardless of economic climate.

I just feel that putting whatever is popular at the moment on the list and pretending they are of national or cultural significance is just political pandering to the masses who have boarded the band-waggon.

Eliminate that TV money and the quality will inevitably suffer.

Munster Rugby survived before Sky.

The Irish Taxpayer is already providing tax breaks and funding for the sport.

The IRFU seems to believe in the "free lunch" principle.

If they want their Sky money - all other taxpayers funding and tax breaks for "Star" players should be withdrawn.

This money could then be put into Community Sports facilities.

Munster Rugby survived before Sky.

Yeah, but Munster, and all provincial rugby was of far inferior quality before Sky. It was certainly a long way from anything that could be considered of national or cultural significance.

The Irish Taxpayer is already providing tax breaks and funding for the sport.

They're also providing tax breaks and funding for the company I work for too. Best of luck getting anything for free here! They provide huge tax breaks to those in the horse breading/training game too. Massive tax breaks were provided to build hotels in recent years as well. None of these entitle the tax payer to products or services at below market rates.

The IRFU seems to believe in the "free lunch" principle.

The IRFU are looking after their interests and generating as much income as they can while their sport peaks in popularity. Those in power there would be remiss to waste any such opportunity. Again, I have no link to any rugby club apart from playing underage for a couple of years many moons ago, so no VI there.

Every sporting organisation and business in the country try to maximise their revenue, and seek as much government funding as possible in doing so. Anything less would be foolish.

This money could then be put into Community Sports facilities.

Much of the Sky money does end up in community facilities and grass roots development. Just look at the increases in funding at local level since this TV money became available. We all know that if the government withdrew this funding, that very little of it would be handed to community projects.

It's nonsensical to argue that IRFU/FAI have had government funding and so owe us, that argument doesn't wash.

It's unrealistic at this point but hardly nonsensical.

If free-to-air viewing had been made a condition of state-funding for the Aviva, I suspect we wouldn't be even having this debate now.

Every sporting organisation and business in the country try to maximise their revenue, and seek as much government funding as possible in doing so. Anything less would be foolish.

So the taxpayer should fund via taxation and then via a subscription to SKY?

A payment on the double?

The IRFU needs to make their minds up.

Yeah, but Munster, and all provincial rugby was of far inferior quality before Sky. ...
That is untrue and very unfair; who beat Australia in 1967; who beat the All Blacks in 1978? :)

My 2p worth on the thread topic. The fact is that the rising tide of of commercial sponsorship of a professional game has lifted all the boats and Mr. Ryan clearly does not understand the hard cruel real world he is insulated from in the cosy confines he inhabits.

BTW where were Mr. Ryan & Co when Andy Ward and his tightly-knit bunch of Ulster colleagues blazed the success trail for Irish provincial sides in Europe? In the Dáil bar no doubt bending their superannuated elbows. (heavily subsidised by me & you but I don't get to use the facilities)

That is untrue and very unfair; who beat Australia in 1967; who beat the All Blacks in 1978? :)

My 2p worth on the thread topic. The fact is that the rising tide of of commercial sponsorship of a professional game has lifted all the boats and Mr. Ryan clearly does not understand the hard cruel real world he is insulated from in the cosy confines he inhabits.
Lets not pretend that Irish rugby in general, and Munster in particular, reached some sort of high-point in the 70’s. The Munster team of the last few years is vastly superior to anything that came before it, the fantastic achievement of beating the All Blacks not withstanding (pointing out that it was not a full strength international Kiwi team always seems churlish).

At the end of the day - a compromise will be reached that will involve the listing of more sports events. This will have a knock on effect on more sporting organisations.

It will gaurentee that more sporting events will indeed be free to view.

Lets not pretend that Irish rugby in general, and Munster in particular, reached some sort of high-point in the 70’s. ...
I'm not pretending anything. Irish rugby, and Munster in particular has consistently punched substantially above its weight and has provided the island in both the amateur and professional eras both with an almost unbelievable level of international success and representation as well as a focus for unity and co-operation that many other more populist endeavours lacked.

By any objective measure, (island population, playing population, real estate invested in pitches and training facilities, total budget, international rating vs. monies expended or any other criterion) the IRFU and the teams they fund and field are extraordinarily successful.

For an idiot like Ryan to propose damaging the investment in our rugby players and teams, an extremely valuable natural resource, (what's Ryan's portfolio again?) through his asinine proposals is a sacking offence, IMHO.

... The Munster team of the last few years is vastly superior to anything that came before it, ...
I know that, you know that and I believe I know why (ability, dedication, belief, money and smart people who used them wisely); could some-one sit Ryan down on an organically recycled hessian sofa somewhere and explain it to him in mono-syllables?

... the fantastic achievement of beating the All Blacks not withstanding (pointing out that it was not a full strength international Kiwi team always seems churlish).
The Munster team and the Thomand Park supporters were not at full-strength either; my brother and I had started in new jobs and neither of us could get time off. :)

BTW, all you can ask of any team is that they beat the opposition selection fielded against them, whether that team is called the All Blacks or the Borris-in-Ossorry U12 Girls' 1st XV.

Philip Browne for Taoiseach, Mr. Ryan for the dunce's cap.

Back