Eamonn Ryan/IRFU Free to Air Debate

cork

Fair play to Eamonn Ryan.

Sad to see FG coming out in defence of the IRFU.

Not everyone has the subscription channels.

The sport will be damaged, money-wise, team-quality-wise, spectator interest-wise and, ultimately, at grass roots level. Thats not in anyone's interest. Irish teams already struggle in financial terms Vs French teams in particular.

Do you want Irish provinces to become League of Ireland standard??

Maybe Ryan should get out a bit more, go to the match or to a pub to watch it, he might enjoy himself and do something for the economy. Well intentioned but uninformed meddling is not the way to go.

p.s. I dont have the channels but I survive, or I go to the pub if I'm that pushed. Its not like ordinary people are being deprived an essential service.

Sorry but he has scored a big own goal here. Stupid move.

How can he say the Heineken (European cup) is part of who we are? There is no cultural significance to the European cup and there is no way that the IRFU can replace the lost revenue.

Everyone is free to get the subscription channels if they like. People pay to see new film releases. Why shouldn't they pay to see live international sport? Give RTE the money to bid for the Irish rights if it so important.

I can understand protecting something like the All Ireland finals on cultural grounds but international sport is different and the sports compete on a different level. Telling the Irish teams that they are losing the TV money while their competitors in England, Scotland, Wales and France aren't is unfair.

Telling the Irish teams that they are losing the TV money while their competitors in England, Scotland, Wales and France aren't is unfair.

While telling people that they have to subsribe to watch sport is ok?

The government already give sports stars tax breaks and the state has also given millions in connections with AVIVIA Stadium.

The IRFU want their bread buttered on both sides.

A compromise will happen. Maybe the 6 nations will be listed.

FG standing up againist free to view sport is telling of that party

They don't have to subscribe. They can go to the game. They can go to a pub. Go to their local rugby club. Go to a friends house. Watch deferred highlights. They can even watch it online if they so wish.

I love seeing all these rugby 'fans' getting hot and bothered. Have obviously missed them at the AIL games or at provincial games before the teams were successful. Now suddenly, rugby is part of who we are....

It would be like the British Government suddenly saying every premiership game should be on free to air tv (better case in my view). It would destroy English football. Same would happen here with rugby.

Also, what about the people who don't like rugby or sport in general? Should their licence money be spent buying rights to it and then have 4 games every weekend taking up the schedule

The IRFU want it every way.

Massive State Aid + Tax breaks + freedom to sell rights to whoever.

The IRFU gladly took taxpayers money to refurbish the stadium that was once known as Landsdowne Road.

They want it everyway.

S4C show the Magniers League - Whereas Setanta show it over here.

It is about time the govt stepped in.

Let the IRFU and their buddies in FG oppose TV free to view.

I understand where he's coming from. The Irish matches of importance belong to the Irish people in my opinion. Not an organisation.

People will still play the sport. People will still have that sense of competition but and here is the but. The quality players will move to France or England where they will be paid more.

A bit like league of Ireland football versus Premiership football.

His intentions are good but not thought through fully.

P.S. I was delighted to find the Munster Leinster match on S4C. Total Fluke. S4C is a terrestrial channell in Wales.

I'm not mad on rugby but i can understand the stand taken by the IRFU and i agree with it. but are the TV deals with reagrds the Heineken cup not negotiated on a european wide basis, as in all the IRFU the ERC and the FRU negotiate as one group with the TV companies? would this not undermine the IRFU's position with these other sporting organisations if they had to show the games free to air?

I would love to know what the ratings difference is between games that are free to air and on subscription channels. Soccer would be a good example here, rte show the games and also sky so who gets the more viewers? i would have thought RTE as their punditry is better.

In the end though rugby, and i heard philip browne talk of it like this on the last word on monday last i think it was, as a business. If the money is not there then the development of the game cannot continue in its present form. Also heard on the same programme Eamonn Ryan saying that they look at this thing every 3 years.

We get it Cork you're a FF man.

I'm not a rugby fan but I have to agree that free to air would be a bad thing for the sport. Whether we agree with the principle or not, money plays such an important part in sport and especially since rugby is also a professional game the IRFU would find it much harder to compete with French and English counterparts. The IRFU would have to come up with the cash somwehere else via ticket sales or sponsorship.

Tg4 did gave great coverage to the Celtic Leage.
S4C does the same for the Magners League.

Bigger Audiences + Higher Ad rates and sponsorship and matchs will be enjoyed by more.

The IRFU and the FG buddies can't see the wood from the trees.

If you're looking to throw mud at a political party, aim it at the Greens.

Eamon Ryan's points do not stand up. The HEC is not of national interest.

I have not seen any figures for people denied access to live coverage for economic reasons. Who is this constituency ?

The HEC is a big event in Ireland when Irish teams are in the knockout stages. Munster, unless they arrest their current slump, may not be there next season. Leinster have underachieved in the HEC and will do so again, especially if the new coach doesn't hit the ground running.

If the provinces lose the SKY money, there'll be no more Trevor Halstead, Rua Tipoki, Doug Howlett, Rocky Elsom or Isa Nacewa. Furthermore, the younger players, such as Kearney, Sexton, Heaslip, Earls & Ferris, could end up in England or France. Professional sport, especially one as attritional as rugby, is a short career, and players have to look out for their own interests.

Good post TaftHead. I remember one pundit wearing a black armband on RTE after the HC rights were bought by SKY. He now advertises for them. Strange what money can do...

If it leads to the listing of the 6 nations - Is it not worth it?

Rugby is no longer the sport of the privilidged - It should be open to a wider audience.

How much has this Govt. given to the IRFU?

If the IRFU want to give back the stadium, or at least the pile of State money that they got to subsidise the stadium, then they can get back up on their high horse about the TV rights.

If the IRFU want to give back the stadium, or at least the pile of State money that they got to subsidise the stadium, then they can get back up on their high horse about the TV rights.

What's that got to do with tv rights for the European cup?

Munster don't play there. Ulster don't play there. Leinster don't even play there. And Connaught don't play there.

Might as well say that the GAA shouldn't charge RTE for showing their games because the Government gave them money to build Croke Park

If it leads to the listing of the 6 nations - Is it not worth it?

Are the 2 issues interdependent ? The 6N could be listed, leaving the HEC as-is. National team versus provincial/club team, six nations, or governing bodies, versus one (ERC). The 2 aren't directly comparable.

Rugby is no longer the sport of the privilidged - It should be open to a wider audience.

Rugby hasn't been privileged for years. Sure don't Munster fans revel in telling us all how ordinary and proletarian they all are ? And it's spread is given momentum by the continued success and profile of the provincial/club teams.

How much has this Govt. given to the IRFU?

Yawn . You can attempt to justify anything with that line of argument. Try turning up at the Curragh and demanding to be let drive a tank ! The money wasn't given with conditions attached.

The successes of Munster in 2006, 2008, Leinster in 2009 and the national team's Grand Slam has given more joy to more people in this country, and abroad, than any Government action. Long may that continue.

Might as well say that the GAA shouldn't charge RTE for showing their games because the Government gave them money to build Croke Park

If the IRFU sees itself as a commercial organisation - let all state grants to them be withdrawn.

Some rugby players also get tax relief big time.

If the IRFU want to be commerial - let them.

Let them paddle their own canoe.

But Alas, they want it both ways.

Eamon Ryan is 100% right.

FG have again shown their true colours.

Are you suggesting that the IRFU should not seek to maximise their income? The GAA has made a fortune off hosting Rugby games which were televised by SKY. Like the GAA the IRFU spends most of it's income developing the game at club level. In that sense all sporting organisations are commercially orientated; they need income to survive. That holds true for everything from a swimming club to a football team.
If Eamonn Ryan wants the games on RTE he should tell them to out-bid SKY instead of spending a fortune out-bidding them for first airing on American shows like Lost and 24.