Duties of a godfather

gebbel

My sister asked me today to be the god-father to her 6 month old baby. Of course I said yes and feel privileged in a way to be asked, but now I am left wondering what it means for me. My uncle stood for me when I was a kid, but I only saw him about once every 2 or 3 years growing up. What are my duties and responsibilities now to my nephew?

My sister asked me today to be the god-father to her 6 month old baby. Of course I said yes and feel privileged in a way to be asked, but now I am left wondering what it means for me. My uncle stood for me when I was a kid, but I only saw him about once every 2 or 3 years growing up. What are my duties and responsibilities now to my nephew?

You must remember to buya nice birthday present every year. Also remember to give generous presents at confession, communion,confirmation, graduation and wedding ceremonies.

i assume its just to guide the child trough his religious life , be there for him when he has any questions about his religion , and being catholic im sure he'll have a few :0 well thats wat it used to be im not sure people see it that way anymore ,seems ta be more about the day and the party rather than the religious aspect .

hypocritical godparent

Just took the plunge yesterday and withdrew my 7 year old from communion classes and de-enrolled him from the parish communion group as I am extremely uncomfortable with going through the motions for traditions while a. I don't believe in God and b. I am sickened over the Catholic Church's abuse, cover up and arrogance.

However, I am due to be God Mother to my niece on Sat week. I love my niece, adore my sister and feel like a hypocrite. Incidentally my sister feels quite similarly but is going along with the gig mainly for husband's family. I won't back out but will go through the motions . Feel pretty hypocritical though.

You're going to stand in the church and promise to reject Satan and pledge to guide your godchild in religion

Seriously, back out
You are a hypocrite, well you will be if you do it

Are you realy going to take those vows? You shouldn't take a vow lightly

Dont worry too much about it, i have one god daughter who is my niece, she is 8. Just maybe visit more ofter and DONT forget birthdays or christmas when it comes to presents !!!

You're going to stand in the church and promise to reject Satan and pledge to guide your godchild in religion

I don't see how this differs from standing in a field and pledging to the sun god that you will reject that evil moon god. Oh, how I dislike that moon god.

What is important is that you are there for the child. That might be questions about religion or more likely questions about "where were you when ..." More likely though it will be presents.

If you have to play along for the sake of others then do. Afterall, you will get plenty of practice when you are playing along with the Santa Claus and tooth fairy myths.

I don't see how this differs from standing in a field and pledging to the sun god that you will reject that evil moon god. Oh, how I dislike that moon god.

What is important is that you are there for the child. That might be questions about religion or more likely questions about "where were you when ..." More likely though it will be presents.

If you have to play along for the sake of others then do. Afterall, you will get plenty of practice when you are playing along with the Santa Claus and tooth fairy myths.

Surely the op can be there for the child and still back out. If people feel that the churches handling of the abuse scandals is enough to turn away from religion then it stinks a little if they return to it out of convenience for a day out.

I don't consider it a "day out". It is often done to appease older family members and I've no problem with that. I don't think that makes anyone a hypocrite if you do something that makes others content.

Seriously, back out
You are a hypocrite, well you will be if you do it

Are you realy going to take those vows? You shouldn't take a vow lightly

I do reject Satan! If he really exists which I highly doubt.

But seriously, I pretty much agree with you. I do feel I shouldn't be promising to guide a child in religion when I think it's all tosh. Having said that, I don't know a single god parent who has anything to do with their god child's religious upbringing bar standing as a sponsor when confirmation rolls around. It has developed into a different kind of relationship with the emphasis on pressies at Christmas etc. Not saying that's good or bad. It doesn't bother me as I don't believe but it's clearly not what is intended by the church for that Godparent / child relationship.

Having said all that, I have felt slightly bereft since withdrawing my own son from his religion class. As if I have given up something; maybe a sense of community or identity or belonging to a tradition. I used to quite like the feeling of coming together on the rare occasions I would visit a church. Not a spiritual thing as such.

Either way I am sure I did the right thing. The institution is rotten. Going through the motions of belonging to the Catholic Church while lambasting it over the scandals and it's dealings with us is the most hypocritical of all. We only show then, that they can do what they like and we will take it. It will be a shame to lose the valuable part of the Church in our lives if the hierarchy can't / won't see that the Church is it's people and they are only facilitators.

A.

I think there are a lot of people who feel exactly the same.
Well done for having the "balls " to act on it.If more people did ,maybe things would change.

Just to get back to the question posed by the OP: Apart from the religious duties the best godparents give their time to the child. Showering your nephew with expensive gifts is all very well but often a few hours at the cinema or having him stay overnight at your place (when older) mean so much to a child. (and the tired parents).

Just to get back to the question posed by the OP: Apart from the religious duties the best godparents give their time to the child. Showering your nephew with expensive gifts is all very well but often a few hours at the cinema or having him stay overnight at your place (when older) mean so much to a child. (and the tired parents).

Absolutely - give time, not money or gifts.

I do reject Satan! If he really exists which I highly doubt.

But seriously, I pretty much agree with you. I do feel I shouldn't be promising to guide a child in religion when I think it's all tosh. Having said that, I don't know a single god parent who has anything to do with their god child's religious upbringing bar standing as a sponsor when confirmation rolls around. It has developed into a different kind of relationship with the emphasis on pressies at Christmas etc. Not saying that's good or bad. It doesn't bother me as I don't believe but it's clearly not what is intended by the church for that Godparent / child relationship.

Having said all that, I have felt slightly bereft since withdrawing my own son from his religion class. As if I have given up something; maybe a sense of community or identity or belonging to a tradition. I used to quite like the feeling of coming together on the rare occasions I would visit a church. Not a spiritual thing as such.

Either way I am sure I did the right thing. The institution is rotten. Going through the motions of belonging to the Catholic Church while lambasting it over the scandals and it's dealings with us is the most hypocritical of all. We only show then, that they can do what they like and we will take it. It will be a shame to lose the valuable part of the Church in our lives if the hierarchy can't / won't see that the Church is it's people and they are only facilitators.

A.

To be honest I think it is so selfish of you to withdraw your son from communion class and not allow him to make his first holy communion (despite the hypocritism of baptising him into the faith but then changing your mind) What you should do is allow him to make his sacraments - communion and confirmation - and then make up his own mind as an adult about what he wants to practise. You are ramming your own views down his throat by force? You don't agree so therefore he has to be different from the rest of his class? You disapprove so you are using your child to make your stand? He is your son and you are not giving him his religion and allowing him to choose.
If I was your sister I would withdraw my offer but certainly in your case I can't believe you would go ahead.
When your son is an adult and maybe tells you that he felt ostracised as a child because you didn't allow him make his communion (a huge part of the school year for him this year in class) and that he doesn't know why you used him to make your point and then became a godmother the same year, well I hope you have some answer for him then.
I'm truly sorry if this all seems very harsh but I am in shock at using your son to make your point. My parents had many kids, we all had the sacraments and then as adults decided for ourselves whether to go to Mass or not.

To be honest I think it is so selfish of you to withdraw your son from communion class and not allow him to make his first holy communion (despite the hypocritism of baptising him into the faith but then changing your mind) What you should do is allow him to make his sacraments - communion and confirmation - and then make up his own mind as an adult about what he wants to practise. You are ramming your own views down his throat by force? You don't agree so therefore he has to be different from the rest of his class? You disapprove so you are using your child to make your stand? He is your son and you are not giving him his religion and allowing him to choose.
If I was your sister I would withdraw my offer but certainly in your case I can't believe you would go ahead.
When your son is an adult and maybe tells you that he felt ostracised as a child because you didn't allow him make his communion (a huge part of the school year for him this year in class) and that he doesn't know why you used him to make your point and then became a godmother the same year, well I hope you have some answer for him then.
I'm truly sorry if this all seems very harsh but I am in shock at using your son to make your point. My parents had many kids, we all had the sacraments and then as adults decided for ourselves whether to go to Mass or not.

What total nonsense. You talk as if there was only one possible religion. "His Religion". He doesn't have a religion he's 7. He learns what I teach him as does every other child. What if I decided as an adult that I'd like to be a moonie? Then decided to raise my kids as that and then let them decide as adults? Would that be acceptable to you? I don't use my child to make a point; I give him the upbringing which I think is most beneficial to him like any other parent, including not involving him with an institution I consider to be morally corrupt.

In relation to being ostracised in class: he goes to an Educate Together school where a single religion is not taught in class but rather an overview of all the major religions is studied. Denominational religion classes including preparation for communion are organised outside school hours by any group of interested parents.

A.

"His Religion". He doesn't have a religion he's 7. He learns what I teach him as does every other child.
A.

But he does have a religion - you baptised him presumably, or else he could not have a holy communion. So by definition baptism is entering him into the Catholic Church.

Back