Dublin traffic – why does it get busier.

H

Hansov

I travel from Lucan to Ballsbridge every weekend leaving home at approximately 7.00 am. My journey takes about 40 minutes (keeping within the speed limits etc!!) I am curious as to why when schools are closed, traffic is always lighter. Why would traffic increase when they are open as surely very few schools open between 7.00 and 8.00 am? Any traffic philosophers out there or traffic management experts with a view?

IMHO traffic is lighter when schools are off as working parents have to take holiday leave to be at home with the kids.

I'm never convinced that it is school runs that is the single cause for rush hour grief. To me it is more plausible that schools being off coincides with working parents taking holiday time.

Interesting point tarfhead (although I don't understand why you made it twice).

However I've heard many stories of kids being dropped at 7:30am or so in the vicinity of schools by their work-bound parents. Left to fend for themselves. That's why you have to fight your way to the counter to buy your morning paper at 8am while all these little b*ggers are buying penny bars and crisps.

Back