Dublin postal areas: is there a definitive method of telling what's where?

In the end I went to the Land Registry on Nassau Street.

There I was able to discover such minutiae as that the Central Mental Hospital in Dundrum is actually in the townland of Lower Churchtown, while Goatstown Road is in the townland of Roebuck.

But, as to where the more recent appelations of Clonskeagh, Goatstown and Dundrum begin and end, they were as clueless as me, funnily enough.

D.

You could just do what they do where I live, street signs for say Limekiln Road D12 have been painted over by people with a real bee in their bonnet and changed to D6W, as in Limekiln Road Terenure, instead of Limekiln Road Walkinstown, if you check a map out their are miles apart. So just decide which post code you fancy more.

Indeed! As someone said to me recently, it's become a case of whatever you're having yourself! ;-)

Stricly speaking we all live in: X, Any Road, Dublin 1-24 (whichever applies to you). If you want to insert the name of a townland (putative or otherwise) in between, it's pretty much up to you. Very Irish, basically.

Ben Dunne is currently advertising his KCR Health Club on the radio as being in Terenure, D 12. There is NO part of Terenure in D.12. And, as we all know, KCR stands for Kimmage!!! Doh!

D.

Back