Dublin postal areas: is there a definitive method of telling what's where?

P

Pingin

I'm currently looking to buy a property in a lovely northside dublin estate. Some of the houses in the estate are listed as Dublin 9. Others are listed at Dublin 17?

Where are the boundaries? Who defines and controls this?

As far as I know An Post determine the postal district boundaries. Why does the postal code of the house in question matter?

Isn't there some activity ongoing in terms of looking into a national postal code scheme (like UK postal codes and US ZIP codes)?

Pingin said:
I'm currently looking to buy a property in a lovely northside dublin estate. Some of the houses in the estate are listed as Dublin 9. Others are listed at Dublin 17?

Where are the boundaries? Who defines and controls this?
I had a query about a postal code recently and found the local sorting office most helpful.

Good luck

Postal areas are different to Parish addresses and this could matter in terms of schooling and church etc if that bothers you.. If you go into the county website (i think its fingal for those areas) and it will give a map with the various parish boundaries and you should be able to see from there where your house lies. For example where I live one side of the road is D24 and the other 16 and your children cannot automatically go to school in 16 if living in D24 and viceaversa, Also in some case value could be higher.

I'd be willing to lay a large bet that this particular house is in Dublin 17. But at least it will be in the "Dublin 9 end" of Dublin 17!

Check the road sign on the road - most of them (I think) also have the number on it. The road I live on is right on a boundary - one side is Dublin 6 and the other side of the road is Dublin 6W.

If they were nicked then you're probably in an odd numbered postal district! :D

(Disclaimer: us Northsiders are allowed poke fun at ourselves... ;))

Janet said:
Check the road sign on the road - most of them (I think) also have the number on it. The road I live on is right on a boundary - one side is Dublin 6 and the other side of the road is Dublin 6W.

I used to live in Dublin 7 and next door was Dublin 1

I need help with a similar issue.

I want to establish townland boundaries in South Dublin, rather than postal codes.

Specifically, I need to know the boundaries of Clonskeagh, Goatstown, Dundrum and Stillorgan.

Where can I find these?

Many thanks.

D.

I'd start with the Ordnance Survey Office. Although I have a feeling that you may find it difficult to establish definitive borders to these areas unless there are specific geographical features (rivers, streams, etc.) between them.

You need to start by considering in which context you want the boundaries defined. If it is specifically townlands you may be out of luck since I would imagine the townland concept doesn't apply within a city or borough boundary.

If you are talking parish boundaries then getting in touch with the parish priest in the relevant areas would be a start.

If you are talking more general boundaries then the local sorting office would be a good place to start.

There is also a concept of DEDs which may be usefull. I think they stand for somthing like district electoral division and are used for the purposes of local elections.

However, the very best place to start would be either Dundrum or Stillorgan libraries (which should be quiet over Christmas) and having a word with the librarian who should be able to point you in the right direction.

If you are totally stuck I can tell you where they all start and end, but I'm hardly a definitive source.

z

Dinarius said:
I need help with a similar issue.

I want to establish townland boundaries in South Dublin, rather than postal codes.

Specifically, I need to know the boundaries of Clonskeagh, Goatstown, Dundrum and Stillorgan.

Where can I find these?

Many thanks.

D.

Good luck with that - used to live in the area (have recently heard planning permission for another huge development on Goatstown Road was submitted/is being submitted and am very glad I've moved now). I received post sent to Clonskeagh, Dundrum and Goatstown. Apparently Goatstown Road is in all of those places! I just used to stick to Goatstown Road, Dublin 14 when giving people my address. As for the Church, I'm not a practising Catholic myself but the local parish was supposed to be one in Dundrum, and not the one on Bird Avenue which was five minutes walk away. As we were in Dun Laohghaire/Rathdown council area I was also expected to drive six miles or more to full recycling facilities when the Dublin City Council facilities were less than two miles away. I think I was just unlucky and Goatstown Road happens to be on or close to lots of different "borders".

On a more practical note, you could try contacting the various residents' associations - they may have information to help figure it out. Credit unions will also have maps with divisions marked on them although I'm not sure if credit unions traditionally worked within already existing boundaries or just made up their own.

Janet said:
As we were in Dun Laohghaire/Rathdown council area I was also expected to drive six miles or more to full recycling facilities when the Dublin City Council facilities were less than two miles away.

I always use the Dublin City Council facilities for recycling and am not part of that council's area. Have they challenged you about this?

If you mean a Bring centre then I have never been asked for identification or proof of address when attending mine.

maura said:
I always use the Dublin City Council facilities for recycling and am not part of that council's area. Have they challenged you about this?

No, I was never challenged. But I never felt right to be paying one council and using the facilities of another. That's just me perhaps.

I now live in Terenure, within Dublin City Council area, and use the same facilities I used to. At least now I'm paying for the facilities I use. Yes, I know technically speaking the bring centres are free of charge for recycling but I pay bin charges now to the council whose facility I use and prefer that.

Back