Key Post Dublin Airport Reports

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Folks, I think it would be useful to have a factual reporting of times taken to get through Dublin Airport.

Please let off steam in other threads. This is purely for factual reporting.

It's very important to not just report long delays. If it took only 30 minutes, then report that as well.

Use the following format:

Day:
Date:
Terminal:
Checking in baggage: Yes or No
Fast Track: Yes or No
Time arrived at airport:
Time clearing security:
Total time from arrival at airport to clearing security:
Other factual comments: e.g. long queues for food other side:

Last edited:
A friend of mine has texted me this information:

Day: Thursday
Date: 23rd June
Terminal: 1
Checking in baggage: No
Fast Track: Yes
Time arrived at airport: 5.40
Time arrived at security: 6.40
Time arrived at gate: 7.20 (?)
Total time from arrival at airport to gate: 1 hour 40 minutes

Other factual comments: airport was chaotic. Non fast-track customers seemed to be missing flights. Lot of people running towards their gates. Queues for coffee too long, so didn't bother.

Last edited:
Day: Monday
Date: 13th June
Terminal: 2
Checking in baggage: NO
Fast Track: No
Time arrived at airport: 0515 (Aircoach)
Time arrived at security: 0520
Time arrived at gate: 0620
Total time from arrival at airport to gate: (Excluding time shopping and eating.) 65 minutes

Long queues at Butlers and Starbucks for Coffee, shops downstairs at gates not open. Staff pleasant.

I was flying to Venice, I would say a third of the flight were US passengers who had transited in Dublin, maybe they were all joining cruise ships.

A friend of mine went through dublin airport this morning
Day: Thursday
Date: 23rd June
Checking in baggage: Yes
Time arrived at airport: 6.50
Time arrived at security: ?
Completed security 7.40

For me I joined the Security Q in T2 at 0525, the sign in the distance said 40 minutes, however it was only as I got closer that I realised that it was 40 minutes from the sign! I got through security at 0620.
Time to get to Gate will all depend on which Gate and could take from 5 to 25 minutes really. I doubt most people have any issues being delayed once they've got through security.

I don't understand the point of this thread. If I am travelling today, I couldn't care less what happened yesterday never mind last week....Too many variables to know that it will be the same day to day experience....

This thread could cause people to panic/relax unnecessarily. Just follow the official advice. And there are updates online around security delays. Never mind twitter which is the quickest way to find out problems on the day......

Daa have real time info on security delays on their webpage. Obviously this could change quickly by the time you got to the airport.

@Sunny I think the point of the thrtead is to avoid sensational headlines. Generally I go to airport and join security queue straight away. I have never had more than 30 minutes before getting through to 'the far side' (90% of the time is is way less than this). Derek has clarified that it took 55 minutes for this. The current advice is arrive 2.5 hours before flight departure which is well within that radar.

Airport Security has a banner at the top with times on it.

Live, T2 huge crowds at Check In Aer Lingus desks, the whole place has a chaotic feel, T1 seems to have all sorts of "yellow jackets directing people traffic "

Rte are here reporting, Wife is still on plane 40 mins after landing, no drivers available to bus them to Terminal.

Steady flow up to security and seems to be moving ie no visible queues from here.

But its busy busy busy nobody on the American side , why couldn't they open some of those check Ins?

Date: 20/06
Terminal: T1
Time arrived at airport: 4:45am Blue Car Park
Time clearing security: 06:15am

Total time from arrival at airport to clearing security 90mins

Other factual comments: Family of 6 travelling. Not too busy airside but we had prepared for the worst so brought food with us, toilets were like something out of trainspotting, and the waiting area pretty dirty - people are animals ok DAA should have more cleaning staff but just dropping rubbish and using/leaving a toilet like that. All staff were friednly and doing their best to help we started to queue just outside T1 but were under cover and in doors in minutes.

Day: Friday
Date: 24th June
Fast Track: Yes
Time arrived at airport: 5.50 am
Time clearing security: 6.10 am

Total time from arrival at airport to clearing security: 20 minutes

Other factual comments: 5 minute queue for breakfast in the Marqette - much longer queues upstairs for Burger King and the bar.

I don't understand the point of this thread.

Hi Sunny

I was travelling on Friday. I had no idea whether the recommended 2 1/2 hours was enough or too much. Is it worth paying for Fast Track? I had heard that it's not possible to get food on the other side without queuing for ages.

Are some times better than others?
Are some days better than others?

I allowed myself the 2 1/2 hours. But I only needed about an hour.
Fast track seems to be definitely worth it.

Brendan

Hi Sunny

I was travelling on Friday. I had no idea whether the recommended 2 1/2 hours was enough or too much. Is it worth paying for Fast Track? I had heard that it's not possible to get food on the other side without queuing for ages.

Are some times better than others?
Are some days better than others?

I allowed myself the 2 1/2 hours. But I only needed about an hour.
Fast track seems to be definitely worth it.

Brendan
Just to note: At the moment you can't buy Fast Track through Dublin airport site, only through your airline. Aer Lingus do not offer it.

Friday - Sunday appear to be the busiest days.

Early morning appears to be the busiest time.

Date: 13th June
Time arrived at airport: 3:20am (3am Blue airport car park).
Time clearing security:6:30am
Total time from arrival at airport to clearing security: Approx 3 hours.
Other factual comments: Heading long haul via Heathrow, hence we had bags, using BA. They say come to the airport early, even though BA don't open until 2.5 hours ahead of flight, which was approx 4:30am. We got right into the terminal & there was a short queue at the BA counter. It opened on time, 2.5 hours ahead of the first 7am to London flight. It wasn't a long queue ahead of us, but took around 45 minutes to get checked in. From there we went straight to security, which said was taking around 50 minutes long, and yes, it did take that long to get through. Lines were moving but it took that length. From there we went straight to the gate as the flight was about to start boarding. We wouldn't have had time for food or anything, but that didn't bother us.

Apologies for breaking the format, but was wondering more generally are people noticing a benefit to booking Fast Track? Is it worth it? Or is it a case that so many people are booking it and it's redundant? A bit like Ryanair "priority" boarding.

Fast Track definitely helped us by about 30 minutes at the start of June, not sure now.

Anyone been through T1 and dropped off luggage for Ryanair in the early morning recently?
We've a 0655 flight tomorrow, booked bags and Ryanair are advising 3.5hrs before flight which is just too much. Are the bag drops that busy at say 4/430am? We're probably going to buy Fast Track through Ryanair if we can.

Flew to Crete the week before last. 65 Minutes to check in bags and get through security. TUI flight, if we could have bag-tag&dropped we'd have saved 30 minuets. TUI plane was a wreck.
When we landed it took less than 20 minutes for us to disembark, collect our luggage and get to the exit. TUI flight on the way back was the worst plane I've ever been on and I've flown internally in Africa and in the old Soviet Union. The 4 hour delay in Crete before departure may have meant we missed the delays in Dublin.

Flight out:
Day: Tuesday
Date: 12th July
Time arrived at airport: 11.30am
Time clearing security:12.35am

Flight in:
Day: Wednesday
Date: 120th July
Time arrived at airport: 4.15am
Time clearing security: 4.35am

Is Dublin Airport back to normal now?

I haven't heard any complaints recently?

Is it still worth paying for fast track if your airline offers it?

Brendan

Yesterday T2.Through security in 10 mins. That was @ 5.45am . Snag is, as I see it , you’re told 2 hours so you give it 2 hours to be safe. There’s lots of waiting around.

Back