Dublin airport garda passport control unacceptable delays

I fly quite regularly into Dublin airport and yes sometimes there is a queue, but even if the queue seems massive it only takes 10-15 mins max to get through, it just feels a lot longer. Dublin airport is really not the worst offender. Getting out at Amsterdam usually takes a lot longer. If there is a queue in Dublin there will be at least 10 channels open, in Amsterdam I found many times only 4 or 5 channels open.
I do agree with the point though on the internal flights passengers having to go through passport control, that is just such a silly design flaw.

When ive seen this happen its been late and there are only 2 - 3 officers at the desks. The problem is that they allow everyone through any line no matter where they are from. So this slows everyone up.

I can assure you that when things are bad that it takes a hell of a lot longer than 15 minutes to get through and there are only a few gates open too.

Two questions:

1. Do you know for a fact that the alleged industrial dispute mentioned above is ongoing?
  2. Do you know for a fact that this situation involves "extremely highly paid public sector employees"?

1. I simply happened to be unfortunate enough to encounter the long queue earlier. I have no idea if there is a dispute on-going. I was told by a DAA usher that; "the guards were on a go-slow".
I believe it is critical that our national airport should function to a reasonable standard and should not be operated in a manner to frustrate and inconvenience travelers. Whether the problems arises due to an industrial dispute or due to bad management it should be resolved.

2. I suspect the problem rests with the DAA solely or a combination of An Garda Síochana and the DAA. In such circumstances management in each organisation should knock the appropriate heads together to ensure that the problem is resolved.

It is ridiculous for someone arriving from Cork to have to produce a passport to get out of Dublin airport.
So suppose you didn't bring a passport, and just had a driving licence as ID?

Does anyone know the Act/Law that obliges Irish passport holders/citizens to show id to a garda? I taught you where only oblige to give your name & address if asked by a garda?

Thanks extopia! You wouldn't have deatils of the Act/Law that betows that power?

No, but I'd imagine it's the same law that requires a passport to be produced when entering the country.

Had to wait for someone coming through the 'non EU' gates on Sunday night last. The delay was about 20 mins ......... possibly twenty people awaiting ......... three gates open ......... some of the questions asked were ridiculous ........ mostly targeted non European-looking passengers etc. Now is there any way that things can be reversed here, and a person can sue Ireland's finest for wasting their time. If they are on a go slow because of the lunchbreak thing ........ that should be declared illegal. Two of the people being hassled by the gardai were Asian tourists. If they had their papers in order why the questioning and if they didn't, why were they let through?

I heard a passenger ask back "Why do you ask how many children my sister has"? I assume that she was visiting her sister. Again, if her papers were in order why this haranguing attitude?

Came through the airport last night off a UK flight. No queues, was at the taxi rank fifteen mins after landing. Loads of Garda on duty.
They must have been reading AAM!

Came through at 5pm today , just a 2-3min delay. Four "EU" and Two "Non-EU" booths in operation.

They're at it again! Came back from London on Tue night and hit a long queue at the garda desks.
I'm always amazed at Dublin Airport and it's handling of disembarking passengers. It's as if they are taken by surprise every time a plane lands. There's a kind of head-scratching approach to each arriving flight. "Oh Jaysus, here's another of them bleedin things, where's the fella wit the steps?"

Back