Drink Price Increase

P

peterconn

The local pubs in the village where i live in the West of Ireland have increased prices of drink, e.g. ballygowan from €2.00 to €2.20, a 10% increase, in the last month. Did anyone hear that Ballygowan were increasing prices, has it happened elsewhere in the country?

I haven't heard anything about Ballygowan, but I checked a receipt I had from the Schollars pub Dublin, and found out that I was charged €4.50 for a red bull! - this is a soft drink.

Of course, I agreed to the price at the time of the transaction. However, I won't be purchasing any more red bull from the schollars.

People (including me) will scrutinise prices in supermarkets, but in pubs they seem to blindly hand over untold €€€s for drink. Pub logic.

Just to clarify, all soft drinks (Coke etc.) went up from €2.00 to €2.20. Vodka and shorts went up minimum 10c, also all other beer products went up 15c. Again i thought it was only Guinness products that were supposed to be increased. Is this publicans being greedy again?

Is it not bloody time well all decided to do something about this, cause i know in my area of Dublin the publicans are really feeling the pince... the more the raise prices the more people are drinking at home then going straight to a club... with the smoking ban combined with these increases i feel we might even see some pubs closed down and i wont be sorry to see the back of them...

In recent years we have become more aware of prices but never did we do anything about it.. example oil, drink, food , bank charges etc... any other country people refuse to pay thses and will get out and protest... but not in Ireland we would rather go out and march against America and war..

Lets stand up for ourselves.. dont buy the drink if its too expensive.

Just to add another comment on Scholars in Firhouse, Dublin....I was charged €2 for a pint of diluted blackcurrant and water. Jaysus, that one portion of blackcurrant paid for the entire bottle of miwadi! I told the bar manager this was rip off and he said "I'm trying to run a business here". I told him he wasn't doing a very good job by charging those prices cos I wouldn't be back and theres more thinking like me. BTW, a coke in that place is a shocking €2.70! so its €5.40 for less than a pint, crazy money.

BTW, owensy, surely even with your narrow mind you have to be able to see that for those people who believe the US has committed a crime by invading Iraq, that issue is far more important than the fact we as consumers are getting ripped off?

name and shame time

went for a drink with a friend last night

went to the Oak on abbey st, pint bulmers and heineken cost € 8.45

went around the corner to the Metropolitan bar on the quays same round € 9.20

the first bar had a lot more people in it,

i used to work as a doorman in Temple bar and hear from mates that places are dead, part drink part smoke, publicans so arrogant that they think they can just raise drink price to cover any losses

Indo

There was a front page article in the Indo this week saying that punters are getting fed up with high prices and this, rather than the smoking ban, is keeping them away.

Not before time !!

Was in the local last night and noticed a sign saying that a pint of Beamish was €0.45 cheaper than Guinness.

I drank and enjoyed the Beamish

prices

€6.80 for a gin and tonic in Dublin at the weekend.
€4.40 for the G, €2.40 for the T.

Guinness €5.10
Lager €5.60

This cannot be sustained, can it?

Will we all keep paying these ridiculous prices?

DT

Back