Doors measured incorrectly

Ruam

We are currently building an extention and ordered windows and doors. We ordered the windows and doors from one of the largest timber windows manufacturers in the country through one of their freelance installers.

He measured two sets of French doors wrong, one is short by almost 4 inches and the other by 2.5 inches. I wouldn't be too upset if these were ordinary doors but they are small doors and with his measuring mistake they are even smaller.

The installer is refusing to take any responcibility for the error and the comapny is just fobbing us off saying it is nothing to do with them as he is a third party installer. But he is the only installer in the Galway area for this company. When we rang up this company they told us to go through him.

Anybody else have any experiences of this problem and what did they do?

Can I name the individual and the window company.

Ruam

I think you have an action against the installer and possibly the manufacturer. The manufacturer recommended this person and he came and purported an expertise in the area and on his measurements you ( or he?) ordered the doors. In these circumstances I feel you were entitled to rely on his expertise. I think you will find that a solicitors letter to both will concentrate their minds. I would do a preliminary letter to both asking either/ both of them to accept liability and agree to compensate/rectify the situation. In the event that they do not, you can then take an action against both. These are specific letters that a solicitor will draft for you so that if you do take an action against both and one is not liable, you will not be caught for their costs.

BTW I don't think it is necessary or indeed prudent to name either.

The manufacturer recommended this person and he came and purported an expertise in the area and on his measurements you ( or he?) ordered the doors.

He measured and ordered the doors.

My only problem is that I have to get into the house before Christmas and if I don't get new doors done the house wont be finished and our builder is going away for two months just before Christmas.

Ruam

Tell him/them that. Give them a strict deadline to admit liability and in the absence of hearing from them within that time limit, tell them you are going to order other doors and pursue them for the cost.

I do feel you have a very strong case. The only difficulty with these types of cases is that it can be difficult even in the face of a court order in your favour to collect. However given your situation, what real choice do you have anyway?

Whoever measured and ordered the doors is responsible, assuming that they were manufactured to the order sizes given. Have you seen the actual order? That will identify who is responsible for the problem!

Whoever measured and ordered the doors is responsible, assuming that they were manufactured to the order sizes given. Have you seen the actual order? That will identify who is responsible for the problem!

No I haven't seen the oder but I am meeting the supplier tonight and see what he comes up with.

Thanks all.

Ruam

If the installer took the measurements and made the order with incorrect figures, I don't see how he can deny responsibility. I think what you need is to get a copy of the order, and then you can establish whether the error was in the order, or in the manufacturing.

The mistake was in the measuring of the doors and the installer has the gall to claim that we agreed the height of the doors.

I don't claim to be the most intelligent person in the world but I am not that stupid to agree to doors that are too small. I persumed his competence to measure and let him at it without checking.

Ruam

After a lot of hassle, pressure, phone calls to mangers in Dublin the installer has agreed to re measure the doors and make news ones at no extra cost.

Thanks for all your advice.

Ruam