Domestic Wind turbines - Viaible option yet?

The viability of a wind turbine depends entirely on your site, and there is a certain amount of guesswork in estimating the output, even if you use an anemometer. A site with a mean windspeed of 7 m/sec will have double the output of a site at 5 m/sec.

A while back I drew up instructions for estimating wind speed at your site based on SEAI windspeed maps, and then estimating annual energy production based on the power curve from the turbine manufacturer and an online calculator. PM me with an email address if you want a copy of those.

The other intangible aspect is the cost of energy over the lifetime of the turbine. The tower and foundation (if well made) will last 60 years or so, while the turbine should be good for twenty, and repairable at that age as well. Anybody want to hazard a guess at the price of electricity in 2030?

My guess is that we have already passed global peak oil production, and that if world demand for energy returns, we will see energy prices rising at a rate much higher than general inflation.

We will also see increases in the cost of copper, steel, and other ingredients of most renewable energy systems. The price of a wind turbine or solar panel may be at an all time low, and the digger drivers, electricians etc., are all answering their mobile phones these days, which wasn't happening two years ago!

Back