Doing without House Insurance

Eireann

Hi
For the last while I've been financially de-cluttering and this has mainly involved cancelling various forms of insurance / security for future products. I'm considering not renewing my house insurance (where I reside). My house is a semi-detached house in an estate. The mortgage is paid and I fully understand the financial risk from fire, robbery, etc. I am prepared to take these on myself, but am concerned in relation to 3rd party issues, which aren't clear to me. Could you advise how these issues work:

1. If my house caught fire and that or water damage affected the adjoining house, would I have a liability to my neighbour as a 3rd party as with car insurance or does each house owner have to cover their own property for these risks?​
2. Conversely would I be able to claim as a 3rd party if for example a fire originating in their property damaged my house?​
3. Visitors to my house, e.g. postman, junk mail distributors, tradespeople, etc. should have their own insurance, but could I be liable, if I was negligent, e.g. slips, trips, etc?​
4. Unforeseen events; e.g. say in a storm a tile or slate fell my house on landed on a neighbour's car?​
5. Conversely to No. 4 above; if the neighbour's aerial fell over and damaged the shared chimney (I don't have an aerial) or my roof, would they be liable for repairs or because it is a shared chimney we would both have to pay for repairs even though it's their aerial?​

Could you point out potential issues that I could be overlooking, besides the usual fire, robbery, etc. I keep everything fairly safe, etc. but what about neighbour's kids playing, a visitor to my house that had a genuine accident, etc.

Thanks for your advice.

Unless you are on the breadline, then home insurance is one of the last things I would be cancelling. Where would you live if your house burned down? That is the main risk we are covering when we pay. It is a few hundred a year and 100% worth it for piece of mind. Flex the excess if you need to reduce it but don't get rid of it entirely.

How far down your list have you come to get to this? Assume all bank fees, utility bills, discretionary spending all looked at first?

Have a look at your current or a recent home insurance policy booklet to see what's covered and what's not under the sorts of headings that you mention above. That should clarify matters. And/or talk to a broker.

Have to agree with @misemoi 100% though. Forgoing home insurance (at least buildings insurance) for the sake of saving probably a few hundreds of euros would be very foolhardy in almost all cases.

Unless you are on the breadline, then home insurance is one of the last things I would be cancelling. Where would you live if your house burned down? That is the main risk we are covering when we pay. It is a few hundred a year and 100% worth it for piece of mind. Flex the excess if you need to reduce it but don't get rid of it entirely.

How far down your list have you come to get to this? Assume all bank fees, utility bills, discretionary spending all looked at first?
Thanks, I agree with what you're saying and my insurance is not very expensive, it's as much a thinking it through thing, it's not really about the money.

I've seen too many Gofund me pages in the last 2 years where houses have burnt down and families had no house insurance and the community rallies around trying to support. Madness to cancel it.

In terms of impact etc, do check if you have any antiques or other valuables that may not be covered under content and check the rebuild value is up to date

It's no harm to do these exercises and to challenge assumptions. You would be surprised what you can trim. But weight your choices on a few factors other than money!

Pretty sure you can buy a basic policy without all the advertised bells and whistles features.

Fire cover only with Public Liability.

Have a look at your current or a recent home insurance policy booklet to see what's covered and what's not under the sorts of headings that you mention above. That should clarify matters. And/or talk to a broker.

Have to agree with @misemoi 100% though. Foregoing home insurance (at least buildings insurance) for the sake of probably a few hundred euros would be very foolhardy in almost all cases.
Have looked at the policy, but haven't talked to my insurer or a broker. The policy does not clarify whether house insurance works as a standalone thing, you cover all risks, or if there is 3rd party liability for other people's property. My guess is the insurance companies would not want to or even know how to answer these questions, as it probably can only be answered in a court.
It’s bonkers.

Only extremely rich people should do this. As in liquid assets always to hand worth comfortably more than their house.
Hi
I don't want to go off on a tangent, but I'm a fairly sensible and cautious person (but who has done lots of bonkers things). I'm not rich and would struggle immensely if something were to happen. I'm trying to understand certain risks especially related to 3rd parties. House insurance is not legally required and is essentially a financial decision, that is calculated based on risks, statistics, etc. For example if I lived in a remote detached property with low risk of fire, flood, crime, and had no expensive possessions, etc. then it might be quite rational to say I'm overpaying for the financial protection I'm getting and will take this financial risk and if I end up living hand to mouth so be it.
I've had both comprehensive and 3rd party only motor insurance, I decided each based on the circumstances at the time. If I wrote off my own car with 3rd party only cover, and had to do with a banger, then I know I could do this. Likewise with a house, if I totally lost it, say by fire (but don't forget I would still have the site) then I would have to rent a cheap maybe less than desirable place and be severly damaged financially, then I would have to accept this and get on with it. But the 3rd party issues seem very unclear and obviously could be ruinous, e.g. if someone died. This is really what I am trying to understand, not the where would I live stuff.
If it was a choice between eating 3 meals a day or forgoing a meal in order to pay house insurance then I'd do it.
I understand and appreciate the sense of security insurance brings.

I'm trying to understand the difference between having insurance and not having it and then understand the financial implications for me.
I could have just asked a question: If my house goes on fire and it is caused by my neighbour (accidentally) then do I claim off his insurance or my insurance? Is it an accident I must insure for or he must insure for? This obviously applies in reverse also, if my house goes on fire (accidentally and not even considering negligently) and I cause damage to my neighour do I have to pay or does he have to take this risk (regardless of insurance really as we could both be uninsured for example. He / she chose to be joined by the hip to me, I didn't ask or force him / her to buy a house next to me? So think about it the other way, say you live in a semi-detached property and your neighbour is un-insured and burns your house down accidentally. You may think, well I'll claim on my own insurance (which I think you would be able to do) but what if you're insurer turned around and said well the cause of this was your neighbour, we do not have a liability for their neglience, they are not our client, so you should chase them or their insurer if they have one. If this were the case, you may afterwards feel your sense of security was misplaced.

Do you see, it's not whether I'm irresponsible or looking for handouts in the event that I turn out to be a financial idiot, it's what am I really covered for, I'm asking about the money aspect. My guess is that you will have to insure your own property even if the damage is caused by a 3rd party (either accidentally or intentionally, such as robbery). Of course the other implication of this is that I don't have a liability to 3rd parties either, so therefore and I can worry about taking care of myself if the worst happened and not be concerned about others.
Reckless irresponsibility should never be encouraged.
Please read my replies above, while I may be considered reckless with my own financial security and I admit this is not a huge factor for me, in fact I'm trying to determine what responsibilty I have for others, e.g. my neighbours and make decisions accordingly.
Pretty sure you can buy a basic policy without all the advertised bells and whistles features.

Fire cover only with Public Liability.
Thanks for that, I haven't looked into it, but my feeling on this was that it would be almost as expensive as standard insurance, but I do see that it provides better value for money, as I feel I'm less likely to be making a claim. But the 3rd party question and who is really liable still stands. Thanks.
Health insurance is close to top of my list to keep.
Thanks, maybe shocking but I have cancelled this, in fact some years ago and am still happy with this decision and I agonised over it at the time (probably for a few years as I knew I was not getting good value). But I think what you might be saying is; health is a higher priority for you than money and you're looking to use an expensive financial product so that you can ultimately protect your health. I'm asking; what financial protection am I getting from my house insurance, I don't care too much about my own personal situation, but I don't want to have a huge liability to others.

You need public liability, think you can only get that with house In surance. If a slate falls off your roof and hits passerby or a neighbour's child falls down stairs, you could be sued.

Have looked at the policy, but haven't talked to my insurer or a broker. The policy does not clarify whether house insurance works as a standalone thing, you cover all risks, or if there is 3rd party liability for other people's property.
I don't understand what this means.
What exactly are you trying to achieve here?
It sounds nuts so far.

But the 3rd party question and who is really liable still stands

You mean if you had no fire insurance cover, fire starts in your gaff, and your house was burnt to the ground, along with the one attached to yours, would you be liable for the rebuilding cost of the neighbours house too? Yes.

Plus, you'd have all the costs of the neighbours being rehoused somewhere else while it's being rebuilt. And, if any of them were injured or died, that's your liability too.

There is no black and white answer to your question as to what is and isn't covered by a policy as it will vary per policy and supplier. If your broker can't answer the question then you should go direct to the insurer. For example, my package, with Alianz, does not cover 3rd party contractors working in my house, hence I would have an expectation that if I bring a builder in and he falls off the roof, that his insurance cover will cover him and the onus is on me to check he has this in place.

However if my kid is having a sleepover and one of her friends has a slip and falls, she is covered under the visitor part of the policy.

It's really a moot point. Nobody sensible who has the funds would cancel their home insurance. Your time would be far better spent reviewing your other expenses. Some are sacred and should just be incurred. Home insurance is just one of them.

Please read my replies above, while I may be considered reckless with my own financial security and I admit this is not a huge factor for me, in fact I'm trying to determine what responsibilty I have for others, e.g. my neighbours and make decisions accordingly.

The problem with this attitude is any impression out there that house insurance is somehow optional stands to wreak devastating and life-changing financial consequences on anyone sufficiently optimistic, naive or desperate to pay any heed to it. And the downstream results of any such devastation inevitably falls upon others.

How much would you actually save just having public liability? I have a public liability insurance for a professional activity (very basic, low risk...), it costs nearly half what my house insurance costs.

You mean if you had no fire insurance cover, fire starts in your gaff, and your house was burnt to the ground, along with the one attached to yours, would you be liable for the rebuilding cost of the neighbours house too? Yes.

Plus, you'd have all the costs of the neighbours being rehoused somewhere else while it's being rebuilt. And, if any of them were injured or died, that's your liability too.
Hi
Yes this is what I'm trying to be clear on. This is all hypothetical.

You're saying that if an accidental fire happened in my house (i.e. not leaving a heater going in the bathroom, say a wiring fault or faulty fusebox, that I couldn't have known about, so it not neglience) then a 3rd party could claim against me for the costs involved. This makes perfect sense to me. I then, if I had insurance, would use this to protect myself and if I didn't have insurance than I would be followed personally.

But what protection do I have if I have insurance and my neighbour doesn't. Their house will be burnt to the ground (let's say zero value) the site will be worth say 25% of the value of the house. As they're adjoining, both houses have the save value and I have lost my house as well and have only the 25% site value. Let assume my neighbour has no money except for their house. So I chase my neighbour and therfore the maximum I can get is their 25% site value & I still have my 25% site value, so the most I have now is 50% return on the loss of my house. So if it is a 3rd party type system as with car insurance (as you imply) the most I could get in compensation is 25% from my neighbour and I would more than likely lose 50%.

I believe I could claim on my insurance probably for the rebuild cost of my house. So this at least muddys the water with regard to who is liable for what. If it were 100% like you state then it would have to be a legal requirement for semi-detached and terraced houses to have insurance or otherwise the system would have very little standing.

My guess is that essentially you have protect your own property you have to insure it, but then can you really be liable to a 3rd party if you cause their house to be burnt down (again totally accidentally), as it can't really be one law for one and a different for others?

Now saying all that above I sure that court cases have been fought, say where on property is derelict and say in causing damaging to an adjoining property, e.g. water, chimneys, structural support and the offending property has to rectify this so as to prevent further damage to the neighbour and pay for repairs. So this agrees with your point.
The problem with this attitude is any impression out there that house insurance is somehow optional stands to wreak devastating and life-changing financial consequences on anyone sufficiently optimistic, naive or desperate to pay any heed to it. And the downstream results of any such devastation inevitably falls upon others.
Hi
Thanks, I agree with your opinion. But house insurance is in fact optional, except for mortgage providers requiring it. Imagine you live in a semi-detached house. Based on what you're saying you would claim off your neighbour or their insurance if they cause damage to your property (the origin of the damage, I'm only taking about accidental). What if they actually don't have insurance, they are naive, optimistic, etc. as you say. I'm just asking the question this is all hypthetical; What would you do then?

Chase them in the courts? Maybe they have nothing, it would be a waste of time, even if their house was left almost perfect, the wind direction meant most fire damage occured to your house, because it is a family home you're not going to be able to take it from them.

Do you know if this adjoining neighbour actually has insurance? Is that then optimistic or naive on to assume they do and if the worst happens then you have somebody to claim against?

So the only logical conclusion is that you claim against your insurance for your own property, regardless of who's at fault (although I do think insurers can chase the other party and to and recover some of their loss). Or if I or somebody else does not have insurance, it doesn't matter because you would have to claim off you own insurance anyhow. This is why I am questioning this, I have paid house insurance for a long time, but I wonder if I'm getting anything from it (obviously I had to have it in the past and so did not consider dropping it before). Of course I am ignoring burglary, own damage, water leaks, etc. and the risk of losing my own property.

Now, while I know these things are not black and white, the only replies to what I asked are essentially saying I claim (as the victim) against the offender's insurance. I have never claimed on insurance, so don't know what happens in reality. My belief or guess is that you have to claim against your own insurance (if you have it), but replies seem to say you act like with car insurance, you are a 3rd party and so claim against the other person, so then if they don't have insurance I'm screwed whether I have insurance or not as insurance is optional.

How much would you actually save just having public liability? I have a public liability insurance for a professional activity (very basic, low risk...), it costs nearly half what my house insurance costs.
Thank you, fair point, but public liabilty would be to persons only and would not cover property damage to an adjoining house. Plus my guess on this stuff if when you try to go away from a standard policy you lose value for money because you will probably be charged even more for less.
You need public liability, think you can only get that with house In surance. If a slate falls off your roof and hits passerby or a neighbour's child falls down stairs, you could be sued.
Hi, thanks.
While I don't doubt what you've said, is this actual fact?

I think you are probably right regarding the slate.
If the child was on your property, was uninvited and injured totally by accident, no neglience on your part, would the property owner be liable?
I don't understand what this means.
What exactly are you trying to achieve here?
It sounds nuts so far.

Does house insurance generally operate by you claiming against your own insurance for anything that happens to you, i.e. it's standalone, you are protected against your losses and any liability to 3rd parties, or:

Does it work, as with car insurance, where the victim's losses are covered by the offender's insurance, i.e. 3rd parties are covered by the your insurance and you can likewise claim others for you losses.

Back