Does a wayleave exist?

@Leo I didn't see your post :( - are you saying the permission withers with the owner that gave the permission ?

@Leo I didn't see your post :( - are you saying the permission withers with the owner that gave the permission ?

Yeah, as worded the customer undertakes to do whatever is required to ensure the supplier retains rights of access even if the house is sold. If the customer does nothing it remains an agreement between two parties, the only recourse for the supplier would be to sue them for breech of contract. A new owner can't be bound by a contract they were no part of, and wayleaves only.

The old-school acquisition through long-use is no more.

I've known someone to get free phone and broadband as a condition of allowing one of these cables along their back fence.
The problem with that is they have to sign up to the cable company's terms of service. That means that they have given away rights they may not be expecting to.

The old-school acquisition through long-use is no more.

You can still acquire through long use under the new legislation but would have to show continuous, uninterrupted use since the introduction of the new rules, since 2009.

You can still acquire through long use under the new legislation but would have to show continuous, uninterrupted use since the introduction of the new rules, since 2009.

Yes, but on top if that it has to be registered, prior to that legislation just the continuous use was enough. Anything not registered by the end of 2021 will be considered extinguished, a case relying on 12 year use would only be permissible 12 years after that.

The problem with that is they have to sign up to the cable company's terms of service. That means that they have given away rights they may not be expecting to.

Looking at the terms you quoted on the previous page, you wouldn't be giving up any rights in the legal sense. Permissive access is separate to a right and can be withdrawn at any point.
You can provide permissive access for the purposes of the telco contract and withdraw that access when you are no longer happy with the arrangement.

Yes, but on top if that it has to be registered, prior to that legislation just the continuous use was enough. Anything not registered by the end of 2021 will be considered extinguished, a case relying on 12 year use would only be permissible 12 years after that.

Maybe we are saying the same thing. My understanding with the new act, i.e. the 2009 Act, is that if you can show 12 years uninterrupted use as a right (not with permission) you can register the easement. So the earliest you can register is 2021 (12 years after 2009) but equally you can use this pathway in 2022 for a right of way where the user period began in 2010 and so on.

A lot of the legal articles about this had the angle of "register by 2021 or lose it", probably a good way to drum up business but misleading in my opinion.

A lot of the legal articles about this had the angle of "register by 2021 or lose it", probably a good way to drum up business but misleading in my opinion.

Well the articles published by legal practices certainly do encourage engaging their services to be sure alright :)

The legislation does contain a section stating:

1) An interest—
(a) to which a person was entitled, or
(b) acquired by a person,
before the commencement of this Chapter in consequence of the failure to use words of limitation in a conveyance executed before that commencement or the application of the Rule in Shelley’s Case is extinguished unless the person claiming to be entitled to the interest or to have acquired it—
(i) applies to the court, within 12 years from the commencement of this Chapter, for an order under this section, and
(ii) registers any order made under this section in accordance with subsection (3).

I presume that's where the register it by 2021 or lose it comes from.

Thanks @Bluecup. So if I want to prevent them from registering the easement on my property I have to act now?

As always seek legal advice as oppose to the opinion of an anonymous internet poster but if you send them correspondence confirming that their use of your land is with your permission, i.e. permissive access, and this permission can be withdrawn at any point in the future by you. That way you are clarifying they are not a 'user as of right'.

If they wanted to force the matter they could challenge this in court to assert their right and have it recognised legally but I doubt they would bother. However if a wayleave agreement does exist on their files with the previous owner as you mentioned might be the case, the court would probably put a lot of weight on that.

This thread has highlighted a lot of things I was not aware of. I just wanted more information before I contact them and/or my solicitor.

My intention at this point is to not allow them do the upgrade but my primary motivation is not to allow them register an easement/wayleave against my property.

We recently applied to register a right of way with the land registry based on long use. A neighbour wrote to say that they never saw us use the lane so we were told that the Land Registry would not adjudicate on it and that we need to apply to court. The Land Registry piece was very straightforward, of you are interested in it.

However if a wayleave agreement does exist on their files with the previous owner as you mentioned might be the case, the court would probably put a lot of weight on that.
I don't see how a court could give weight to that. If they did obtain a wayleave but did not register it and the house was subsequently sold (and bought unencumbered) it's their own negligence.

So they came just now and I asked them not to come onto my property. They went up next door neighbours wall and reached over. I asked them not to go near my soffit and they proceeded anyway. I told them that they were trespassing and I was going to call the Gardaí. They said no problem. To which I told them that I'm just going to take the cable down when they're gone.

IMG_20201009_111934-01.jpeg

A wayleave would be registered on page 4 of a standard folio. You can request same from the Land registry or your solicitor should have a copy.
If its not on the folio then whatever other arrangement that might exist is not attached to the property .If it were on the folio and you tried to sell your property the purchasing solicitor would likely highlight this fact to the buyer and it could be a game changer for the purchaser.

If its not on the folio and no other contract was grandfathered in when you bought the house then you could try charging the company rent or negotiate free services from them.

Back