Does a No. 13 House Number Affect Value??

I got £2k or about 1% off the price of my apartment #13. I told them I wanted number 14 and they came back and offered me the 2k off number 13.

They said they made a mix-up and someone else had already bought number 14. I've always suspected that it was a ploy to flog number 13. I was happy enough to go along with it.

I keep an eye on the cost of "number 13s" and haven't noticed much difference. It's probably only a factor when going up against something almost identical.

I have lived in and sold toe number 13's with no ill affect.
If the neighbours own a black cat will that affect the price as well?
Are there really that many stupid people out there?

We live in #13 too, not only that but we moved in on the 13th, we're not the luckiest people alive as in I couldn't win a competition to save my life but we certainly haven't had any bad luck.

My first house was known as site 5 when I bought it. It turned into no. 13. I loved that house. Never had a days trouble in the 5 years I lived there. Our first child was subsequently born on a 13th too.

When we sold the house we got slightly more than a house 4 doors up from us, and that house had a £5,000 landscaped back garden (according to the sales puff). The houses had the same aspect and were over looked to the front and rear.

In summation, you'll always sell if the price is right. In my experience having no. 13 on the door didn't cause me any hardship come sale time.

This subject has probably run out of steam, but for what it's worth I used to work for an architects office where we were told not to use the number 13 when numbering a scheme of houses or hotel bedrooms. However many years since and many jobs later I'd never omit the number from a drawing of either. That said I wouldn't opt for house no. 13 if I were purchasing. I live in no. 14, but my parents in law do live in another no. 13 in another town!

Ive noticed on some planes there is no row 13. Though I think that is for the safety exit as oppose to a luck thing...I hope!

Back