Do you like your job?

C

Chamar

Having worked in banking for a number of years (and pretty much hated it) I'm just curious....

Is this your job or do you something else as well?

Yes, i like my job too
Can I ask you why you continue to stay in your job if you don't like it?

I like my job. What I don't like is, if I have too much or too little work to do. I like to be able to keep all my work up to date, and to be able to catch up easily if I have a day or two off.

I like varied work. I wouldn't like to do the same process all day.

mo3art said:
Yes, i like my job too
Can I ask you why you continue to stay in your job if you don't like it?

I'm on a leave of absence at the moment for personal reasons. It's running out soon so I'm trying to take stock. I suppose I don't really know what level of fulfillment a person should get from their job. For the last number of years I've pretty much resigned myself and believed that a job is just a job i.e. pays the bills and that's it. But like you say, why continue in a job if you don't like it.

At the very least you shouldn't hate your job and/or the place you work. I worked in my last job for a company that was very small, not particularly nice people, boss was a nightmare and the work changed within a few months of me starting so that I was moving further and further away from the type of work I enjoyed. I ended up getting very depressed and it took me almost a year and a half to finally get a different job (after a year or so of unsuccessful interviews I started going for counselling which really helped). I'm now with a great company, work with nice people (for the most part), get on really well with my boss and enjoy the work I do. Considering you're likely to be spending at least 8 hours a day in work I think it's important to be happy. There's a lot more to working life than just the job in my opinion and more than one aspect has to be right I'd say:

Job i.e. work you actually do
Colleagues
Boss
Conditions (pay, benefits, general atmosphere, working environment)

I've just changed job & taken a substantial cut in salary. I really wasn't happy in my old role, as I was living proof of the Peter Principle and I had got squeezed into an unsatisfactory role in a reorganisation.

I looked for alternatives over the summer, and I'll be starting in my new public sector role next month. It's going to be a huge culture change, but I'm really excited about the end results of my new role, and how it will make this country of ours a slightly better place to live. I'm also excited about spending less time at work, and more time at home.

RainyDay - have you just been elected to office or something? Good luck with the new venture...

I like my job too. I moved about 8 months ago from an office i was with for three years. Towards the end of that time I felt really annoyed with the way things were run in that some members of staff were paid more and much less was expected from them due to their close relationship with the Boss. Its very demoralising to be in that position when you know you do far more with much less recognition than someone who gets away with doing nothing and who continually complains of all the stress they are under.

Anyway, for the time being things are going well here. There is nothing worse than getting up everyday to go into a job that you hate. God knows its hard enough to get out of bed in the mornings anyway. Its just not worth it and if things go pear-shaped here after three years, i'll have my cv out instead of suffering in silence.

I love some aspects of my job and not others.
Over all I would say I am pretty satisfied with my job and know my job suits my skills and also my personality down to the ground and I don't think I would change jobs to a differetn type of job but maybe I would like to do the same job in a different setting.
I don't like the commute to work.
I hate the building I work in.
I like the people I work with and my day to day routine is fine.
I would like a little more interraction with people as I tend to spend most of my time working alone and of course a shorter working week and more paid holidays would always be welcome.

Has anybody experienced (as I have, often, during my working life) that the better one is at one's job, the more one gets to do?? In other words, if you're cr*p you get away with blue murder (cos no one will ask you to do anything, cos you're not capable), but the more efficient you are, the more you get to do (because you CAN0, the busier you get, the more stressed you become etc. Yet, Mr or Mrs Cr*p beside you has an easy life, earning exactly the same amount, and doing little or nothing for it!! Anybody ever noticed that?? Do I sound stressed??!!!!

Yep Andrewa...I know exactly what you mean.
I've been working for a large American multi-national for over 5 years now.
Been in different departments/groups over that time, but the point you've made happens all the time.
The more incompetent people get less and less work to do, leave early, basically get a stress free ride, get same pay, but because they mess things up are not asked to do any more tasks, so ultimately do a lot less.
Meanwhile all the other competent people get busier and busier...basically your reward for doing a good job is - more work!!
So Andrewa - you're description is completely accurate..
Does this happen in all job sectors? Public / private, large companies / small?? Is it just another fact of life, or only related to a specific industry??

It seems to have happened me anywhere I've worked (offices/professional). It's not a great policy though, is it? I mean, surely this means that the 'good' people leave (because they get pi**ed off with it), the 'bad' ones are left, the 'bad' ones get promoted (cos there's nobody else), thus the 'bad' ones get all the rewards!!! Might sound cynical, but that's what I've found.

I too have experienced this....the more you do the more you are expected to do. I worked in banking for 4 years and hated it. They are the most ruthless employers. A family member currently works for BOIand is just about to be outsourced - it's scandalous how they treat people

So why do they do it (employers)? What's in it for them? Are they simply too short-sighted to realise what they're doing, or is there something more to it? I can't understand it. I would have thought it would be a better policy for the employer to reward the 'good' people. Doh!! Am I just naive??

I thoroughly agree Andrewa. I work in a fairly small company and there are a total of 3 people in the building who are honest hard-working individuals and would do anything for the Company (I being one of them). I feel the boss just dumps everything on the three of us because he knows we'll sort it out but in the meantime the others are all just sitting back laughing at us. I don't think you your just rewards for being diligent and hard working, you just get sh*t on instead. Boss does notice on the one hand and as it has been said to me by another colleague, that's why he gives us this work because he knows we can do it, we will do it and we'll do it properly. I don't find it very flattering though and am at the stage where I'm begining to get totally stressed out in my job = hence beginning to get totally fed up of it.

Exactly my point. The 'goodies' get completely fed up and stressed. Surely to goodness the 'boss' wants to hold on to them (?) and would/should want to reward them? What's happening? Have they (employers) lost the plot? It's been this way as far back as I can remember, and I really don't understand it. It's very simple and very basic (no rocket science degree required) ..... if you reward people, they will work EVEN BETTER, EVEN HARDER, and thus everybody gets a result! Am I missing something? Can anybody explain why this is not the policy?? What is in it for an employer/boss, that he decides to reward the 'bad' (with less work and equal pay) while punishing the 'good' (by over-working and stressing them)??

Its straightforward, companies need to keep their costs down and will usually avoid paying increases. So they just work the crap out of their employees as much as they can and do teh minimum neccessary to keep the employee working hard.

If you want to get rewarded for your hard work and think you are underpaid then these options might work

- Ask for an increase, explain why you are worth an increase
- Get a job somewhere else that pays you what you want
- If your existing company really want you they will pay to keep you once you hand in your notice

If you dont do the above and wait and hope for an increase in salary its very unlikely you will get it.