Do we tip?

I never said this nor would condone it, yet you mentioned it twice.

If they do their job WELL, and give good service, I would be prepared to pay extra for it as long as I was happy that they were being suitably recompensed.
I did, because it's the unavoidable consequence of your suggestion that "they should be given a pay rise instead.". My way you have a choice, your way you don’t.

So do you tip if service is included?
Not usually but if the service charge is low and the service was very good I do.

Purple, as a seasoned tipper would you tip even if the service was a bit poor - not terrible (in which circumstances I assume nobody would tip), but just below standard?

Ironically, I often actually do tip in these cases: if some young guy or girl is obviously new and nervous (but not providing particularly good service) I would ususally tip purely out of sympathy - providing they didn't completely ruin things and realised their errors etc.

Purple, as a seasoned tipper would you tip even if the service was a bit poor - not terrible (in which circumstances I assume nobody would tip), but just below standard?

Ironically, I often actually do tip in these cases: if some young guy or girl is obviously new and nervous (but not providing particularly good service) I would ususally tip purely out of sympathy - providing they didn't completely ruin things and realised their errors etc.

Yes, in the case outlines I'd do as you do.

Tipping - in my book, "a gratuity for a small service rendered" - should be done on a personal basis and for a service in a restaurant (i.e. you tip the server for making the meal more pleasant; you don't tip the chef for making nicer food). So I don't tip if the service is sub-standard but I always tip if the service improves the whole experience.

Back