Do C2 Holders Have To Pay The Vat Up The North?

niamh80

we are building a house my husband has just got a C2 as he will be working for himself in a few months does anyone know if we go to the north to buy household items will we have to pay the VAT up there i have heard he wouldn't once he has his C2 card?

I don't see what a C2 has to do with claiming VAT.

If you have a VAT number and you supply it to vendor in the North you would not have to pay the VAT when purchasing items for use in your business.

If they are household items for personal use you should not do so.

not exactly sure about this, but if you are a business you probably have to pay the vat anyways or notify revenue that you purchased the goods.

Richard

not exactly sure about this, but if you are a business you probably have to pay the vat anyways or notify revenue that you purchased the goods.

Richard

If I recall correctly (been quite a while since I've done a VAT return) the procedure was that you have to account for it on your VAT return as VAT on intra eu purchases. The same amount got added to VAT on purchases and VAT on sales leaving Nil VAT payable but there is disclosure.

If a VAT registered person buys goods from another EU country, supplies his VAT number and has them exported to Ireland, they should be sold VAT free... in theory anyway. I say in theory because I have come across companies in the UK who refuse even though they are obliged to.

If you turn up in person I think you will be charged the VAT as the goods have not been exported. You would be free to reclaim the VAT off the English Crown Revenue service but only if you also supply goods and services into the UK. I rang them to ask about this and that's what they told me.

Cheers
Joe

Back