Divorce

Deemar

I am in the process of divorce and will then be responsible for my own finances - where should I start, do I need professional advice?

You would probably need to post more details of your current finances in the Money Makeover forum to get more precise advice, but a good place to start would be to sit down and work everything out for yourself. What I mean by that is look at all of your income and outgoings, and work out what bills need to be paid and when.

There are various budgeting aids out there - some have been mentioned here, and you might be able to find them if you do a search. You would need to draw up a budget for yourself detailing how much you'll need for bills/living expenses each month, and how much you'll have to spare when you subtract it from your income. The MABS website has some useful tips on budgeting here: [broken link removed]

Arrange bill payments to suit yourself, wherever possible. If you know that you can have the funds available in your bank account, then set up a direct debit. Otherwise, divide the average bill by 4, then set that amount in cash aside every week and pay the bill that way.

I hope some of this helps. Best of luck.

Thanks for quick replies. These, and browsing through the other forums has given me plenty to go on.

Back