Dispute with Debenhams instore advertising

This is old news. Sports Direct took over and are probably using this crisis to their advantage to delay payments among all the other shenanigans.

I'd hazard a guess that all the online operations run from the UK or The Netherlands like other multiples.

The commentary from Debenhams regarding the rationale for this decision is interesting.

Apparently, they found certain Irish clients very argumentative, especially those with poor eyesight. They further cited suffering bad press on social media - personally, I didn't know such a thing was even possible.

Last edited:
No, you should not be worried about ordering online.

You are paying with your credit card and get a refund from the CC company if anything goes wrong.

Businesses are suffering and we should not put off shopping when we can do it online.

Brendan

Businesses are suffering and we should not put off shopping when we can do it online.

Hi Brendan,

I am being serious this time! and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Is this the right thing to do? I ask, not from a business support viewpoint, but rather from the covid-19 containment aspect - do we want folk going to work to fulfil orders and others to go around distributing these orders? What have the health authorities said about this?

I'm in retail for over 30 years now and debenhams closing was the most unsurprising news ever. Even some landlords had already new plans for their outlets it was that expected.

It barely got mentioned within the trade except "how did they last this long"

They "competed" with me. I charged a standard €23 for a specific item which is my biggest selling line. They charged €32 "for the same item.

People here was mostly not fooled by their Paddy tax of €1.50" exchange rate.

Back