Discussion of Roadmap for reopening Irish society and business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Man Purple! You started well and then descended into your usual Public/Civil Service bashing. These are times when we all need to pull together. Remember unlike you, Covid-19 doesn't differentiate whether you are private or public sector. And a loaf of bread costs the same for everybody too.
You need to stop looking at this from an ideologically defensive perspective. If we are talking about restarting the economy them this is about economics. This is about the people who create wealth. Primarily that's the internationally traded goods and services sector. After that it's the domestic SME sector. The State and State employees don't create any wealth. Much of their activity is critical to the creation of wealth but they don't directly create it. Therefore taking money from the wealth creating sectors and giving it to the non wealth creating sectors is a bad idea if the objective is to restart the domestic economy.

We won't be able to tax or borrow ourselves out of this without huge medium/long term consequences. Not in the normal manner anyway. Borrowing 10-15 year money even if yields are less than 0 is just burdening the country and future population with even higher debt. And it will mean that the next crisis could be much room with zero fiscal or borrowing capacity. The good news is that we are not alone on this. This will end up being a test for the whole of the EU. Let's see how they respond and how much of the 'we are all in this together' mantra is actually right. They will need to develop a mechanism for Corona bonds/Euro bonds that can be issued for extremely long maturities at extremely low yields. Countries like Netherlands and Germany will need to get off their high horse and Countries like Italy, Spain and even Ireland will have to make moves towards even greater budget scrutiny and restriction.

Otherwise countries in the Eurozone are going to have debt profiles that will make it impossible for the ECB to stop bond purchases.

You need to stop looking at this from an ideologically defensive perspective. If we are talking about restarting the economy them this is about economics. This is about the people who create wealth. Primarily that's the internationally traded goods and services sector. After that it's the domestic SME sector. The State and State employees don't create any wealth. Much of their activity is critical to the creation of wealth but they don't directly create it. Therefore taking money from the wealth creating sectors and giving it to the non wealth creating sectors is a bad idea if the objective is to restart the domestic economy.

Occasionally this poster does talk some sense ...
My SME was closed down without warning, all my staff have been laid off and I haven't earned a cent in seven weeks despite normal monthly outgoings and only this morning I received more uncessary bureaucratic nonsense from a state employee working from home on full salary that is going to cost me more money to comply with in order to re-open my business at some unspecified date in the future.

just wondering why we are so late in opening hair dressers and barbers, every country realises that this is an important service especially for women and therefore have opened these up at the start rather than the end of the process. Surely a huge black economy hair dressing service is now on the cards

The idea of ‘social bubbles’ is a very good one. Accept it can’t be policed but as we’re seeing with this crisis there are no certainties and a lot will come down to trust and social responsibility.
If this could be introduced from 18th May ( without distance restrictions ) or soon after it could go a long way to lifting the spirits of the nation as we work through the currently proposed roadmap.

I think its better to stay shut too long than it is to take a chance opening up early. We can watch other countries succeed or fail and make judgements using their results to help us make decisions. Its ok to be worse off for now as you might get over that but dead is permanent and that leaves scars for those left behind. My company office will remain closed until its free movement once more so I am lucky in that regard but I do think everyone who can work from home should do so until this is permanently controlled. Hotels pubs resturaunts etc.. obviously have another legitimate view but as I said dead is permanent.

Cabinet set to approve easing of restrictions, but homeware stores not permitted to open:
Phase One permits the reopening of hardware stores, garden centres, farmers’ markets, bicycle shops and motor garages, electrical and IT stores, as well as opticians. While homeware stores was on the list of shops that could reopen, it is understood that they will not be able resume business on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back