Disability Allowance and part time work


Registered User
Hi there,
I'm on disability allowance and have been offered part time work which would suit me perfectly.
Does anyone know do i need to get permission from the social welfare before I take up the job
or do I just start work and then inform them(i.e send a payslip) .
Thank you


Frequent Poster
As far as I know you don't need permission but you must notify the department and provide proof of your earnings - can be a payslip, contract or a letter from your employer. There is a Benefit of Work estimator tool available on My Welfare to allow you to work out how much your allowance will reduce. Earnings up to €120 are not taken into account in the means assessment. If the job does not work out your disability allowance will be re-instated fairly quickly. You can also keep your medical card for 3 years.