Did someone say that children are not likely to get Covid 19.

I've friends where the husband got it and the wife didn't even though both were sick and displaying symptoms. Turns out she had a different infection.

Incidentally, my wife tested positive for C19 but tested negative for antibodies in the pin prick test, the first of three, the fastest and least reliable.
My wife got her remaining antibody test results today. She’s tested positive. So if immunity exists, she’s immune!

My wife got her remaining antibody test results today. She’s tested positive. So if immunity exists, she’s immune!

Anecdotal evidence from among my wife's colleagues shows a wide discrepancy in the levels of antibodies found during testing last week. Those who are just recently recovered showed high levels while those who tested positive 12+ weeks ago had very low levels. The lower levels may relate to milder cases rather than just time since infection though. It'll be interesting to see more data to see whether there is much in the way of lasting immunity.

Not sure about her levels, I’ll asked her when she gets home. She tested positive about three months ago, was symptomatic for >2 weeks, so it’s good news that she has antibodies.
How long they’ll be active for is anyone’s guess.
But if antibodies aren’t active, or don’t give immunity, then no vaccine will ever work.

Researchers in Singapore have found people who got SARS still have antibodies, which protect from Covid19 as well, 17 years after being exposed to SARS.

But if antibodies aren’t active, or don’t give immunity, then no vaccine will ever work.

Could be like the flu vaccine where you need to get it every year just before flu season starts, and it lasts long enough to see you past the season. Still to early to tell.

Vaccines generate antibodies. If the antibodies don’t do their job, no vaccine will work.

Vaccines generate antibodies. If the antibodies don’t do their job, no vaccine will work.

Antibody levels aren't a constant! If it were that easy they'd just vaccinate everyone for every known flu strain once, rather then focus the vaccine to a subset of likely candidates each year.

Antibody levels aren't a constant!

Agreed. The levels aren’t constant and they decrease with time. The antibodies of the common cold tend to last only six months.

If it were that easy they'd just vaccinate everyone for every known flu strain once, rather then focus the vaccine to a subset of likely candidates each year.

The reason there is an annual vaccine to the seasonal flu is because the flu mutates/evolves from one winter to the next.
Last years vaccine is unlike to be effective in the winter of 2020/2021.
I had the seasonal flu in 1993/1994. Anyone have that? The hallucinations?

My parents had the “Sydney Flu” of 1999/2000. People still talk about that one.

The antibodies of the common cold tend to last only six months.
Really? Do you have a link to back up that statement?

"The" common cold is caused by over 200 known different viruses. That's why young kids get so many more colds than adults, as they build up antibodies to each.

Really? Do you have a link to back up that statement?

The Business Post’s daily Coronavirus Ireland Podcast has it a few weeks back. One of their guys (not Nadine O’Regan or Suzanne Mitchell, the presenters) had a report on vaccines and vaccines.
I listen to it on SoundCloud but AFAIK it’s on their website too.

So now vaccines do work...

Sorry, what I meant is that if C19 antibodies don’t work, there is no chance of a C19 vaccine working.

Obviously, all the vaccines on the market, from mumps to chicken pox and so in, work because their are valid antibodies produced by the body.
But, as suggested elsewhere in this thread, if C19 antibodies may not be “valid” (for want of a technical work), then there will be no C19 vaccine.

Last edited:
My wife’s gone so I asked her.
She’s had three anti-body tests. One negative and two positive. The former was a quick turnaround test, about 10 minutes.
The other two took a few days for results.

No antibody levels give, just that the antibody levels were high enough to give a positive result.

But, as suggested elsewhere in this thread, if C19 antibodies may not be “valid” (for want of a technical work), then there will be no C19 vaccine.

It's not that they're not valid, it's about how long the body maintains sufficient levels of them to produce a strong enough immune response to fight the virus. Lots of studies on this area at the moment, but it may be some time before we know.

...if C19 antibodies may not be “valid” (for want of a technical work), then there will be no C19 vaccine.

By “valid” all I mean is “do the job” as opposed to “not do the job”.

Last edited:
By “valid” all I mean is “do the job” as opposed to “not do the job”.
Binary 1 rather than Binary 0.

It's not a binary situation though. Antibodies individually will do the job, it's a matter of whether you have enough of them to overpower all the virions present in the system.

Back