Depositing Cheque

Stealth

Hi. My husband was issued a cheque but has no bank account. Is it possible to endorse the cheque and lodge it to my account ? Thanks for advice

Get a lodgement slip with your account details
Put it in an envelope with the cheque
Leave it in the branch's post box.

They may well just let it through.

If you go to the counter and ask them, they will refuse.

Brendan

Maybe the provider of the cheque would be happy doing an online transfer rather than the cheque once your husband provides the relevant approval, probably in writing.

Get a lodgement slip with your account details
Put it in an envelope with the cheque
Leave it in the branch's post box.

They may well just let it through.

If you go to the counter and ask them, they will refuse.

Brendan

Unlikely it will get through if there is only one cheque.

A few providers (health insurance, utility) have tried to offer me refund cheques recently and I’ve successfully talked them into getting them to make a transfer to an IBAN I supplied.

but has no bank account.
Otherwise I can’t see a good reason for an adult in 2024 not to have a bank account.

A few suggestions:
If it is uncrossed or crossed with two lines and nothing written between them, you should be in a position to have him endorse it and lodge it to your account.
You could try lodging it using one of the automated lodgement machines in your branch.
You could as Brendan suggested put it in an envelope with a paper lodgement slip and put in the the lodgement box or postbox in the branch. Many branches no longer leave lodgement slips out, you might have to ask for one at the counter.
If its for a smallish amount, you could use it to part pay a utility bill using the GIRO slip
Or as a last resort, he could contact the payer and ask them to cancel it and pay by bank transfer, giving your IBAN.

I have an AIB "basic" account for that exact purpose. (main bank is Bunq) Its free and it can be set up online fairly quickly.

if the cheque is low value (ie under €5k or €10k) and you lodge it via a cheque lodgement machine, it is unlikely that the bank will spot it, but there is a risk that any automated checks they do could reject it further down the line and you end up with a fee for a bounced cheque

Back