Deposit given, house taken away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplealien

Hi - last week (friday to be exact), my husband and i rang an auctioneer in kerry to say we had seen a house on the website and wanted to buy it. We're from Cork so we asked the auctioneer if we could drive down on Sunday and give him the deposit.He told us that was fine and to drop it in the letterbox with our details.
It was a four bed detached in phase one and the asking price for it was 245,000 - we originally wanted one of the three beds but were told they were all sold out ( they were going for 220,000 at the time.)
Sunday my husband drove to Kerry and dropped in the deposit. Monday morning we get a call from the auctioneer saying that the builder had sold the 4 bed for a phase 2 price ( 255,000) to someone else!
He then went on to say that someone else had pulled out of buying one of the three beds and he was able to offer it to us for 240,000 - 20,000 more than the couple had gotten it for and only 5,000 less to what we were originally meant to get the 4 bed for.
Do i have any comeback at all?
Thanks

purplealien said:
Do i have any comeback at all?

No.

You have been gazumped. The booking deposit infers no right to purchase. That does not happen until contracts are signed and balance of 10% deposit has been paid.

I'm locking this thread as you question has been answered, and there is discussion of gazumping elsewhere on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back