Dell Customer Care (HA HA HAAAA...)

Re: Dell

Paulk - I didn't get a refund. They finally gave me a new machine.

I also had to put up with constant crap for four months, emailing and phone calls etc.

Re: Dell

Hi Daltonr, would you be willing to share specs and sources?

Sure.

Motherboard: Abit NF7-S ver 2.0
From PC World. It had a 10% off sticker on it which made
it cheaper than online, but girl claimed there was no discount.
Said I'd only take it if she gave me the discount, so she did.

CPU: AMD Athlon XP2800+
From Komplett. Way cheaper than PC world, but PC World have recently reduced CPU prices I think.

RAM: 512mb PC2700 from PC World €99.99
slightly cheaper online, but not significantly when
shipping etc is taken into account.

Graphics Card: PNY nVidia 5900 (can't recall if it's FX or XT)
Anyway, got it from PC World.

Hard Disk: Mator 16GB Serial ATA. From Komplett.
Much cheaper than PC World, but prices are constantly changing so shop around.

Power Supply: Originally bought a Q-Tec 550Watt (Gold)
PSU from Komplett. Ended up not working and causing random shut downs (not what you want to see when you've done a home build). Ended up buying an Enermax 460W from Peates. A bit pricey but I was getting desperate.

I still have to get around to shipping the dodgy one back to komplett which is the pain about shopping online.

Case, a Jeantech case from PC World, about €35.

I just used a 17" monitor from a previous PC, and same with Mouse and Keyboard, and Speakers etc.

One suggestion, if you do build your self, try to find a case with a good bit of clearance between the top of the Motherboard, and the bottom of the PSU. Otherwise your PSU can end up touching the clip that holds your PSU in place.

The only thing I'd change if I was building again is the Case, I'm not happy with it. But it's only €35 so I might get a new one in a few months time.

-Rd

Dell

Ah what awful memories these posts bring back to me!! We got our Dell boy two years ago. Set it up but not a sign of life sprung from it. A very long time later, after upteen calls to them, we discovered it was not properly assembled at all. I asked them to send someone out to me but they insisted I could diy it myself. Well now to be honest changing a light bulb is the extent of my knowledge. They promised to talk me through it but my goodness, I tried but thankfully stopped before I completely damaged it because the person at the end of the phone seemed to know less than me and was guiding ME through it. Weeks later they did send out someone who confirmed it was not connected at all properly internally. That was sorted out except it took months for the CD-RW to work - the problem? Again it was never actually connected inside the processor!! How can they release processors like that? Have they any quality control? Since then, thankfully, it has worked fine but Dell again next time? I think not!

Original thread posting

Hello all,
I started off this thread to get rid of my frustration with Dells customer service. I said to myself after I started the thread, that would be it as far as my dealings with Dell i.e. they won and I wasn't arsed in chasing them anymore for service. So that was it.....Or so I thought!!
Last week after about a month of silence, i got a call from some lady in a IT firm in Dublin. She said that she had received a order from dell, instructing them to come out to me and setup a floppy disc drive. I was flabbergasted at hearing from her after so long a silence from Dell, and I proceeded to make arrangements for her to come out and install the FDD. Towards the end of the conversation I said to her that I simply expected Dell to post the FDD directly to me and that I would set it up no problem. She said Dell had made it clear that they wanted her company to install it. Then she asked me had I received the FDD from Dell. I told her I hadn't and I thought that was the reason she had rang me in the first place!! So she said that her company only installed Hardware for Dell but that they didn't deliver it. So she told me she would ring me back the next day and organise the FDD delivery. I knew she wouldn't get back to me and didn't even bother to get her name as I really didn't give a crap about the FDD anymore. Did she ring me back?.....Of course she did.....not!
And then last week I had Dell logistics onto me saying they had a FDD for delivery to me and could I arrange to be at home to receive it. No way I said, in work Monday to Friday, work 9 - 5, blah blah. Can they deliver to my work address? Oh no, couldn't do that, too much hassle for Dell. They suggest i collect it from Interlink. Grand I said, give me a consignment number for that then. Dell tell me they have to ring me back with the consignment number. And I have I heard back from them. Of course I haven't. Why me? Must have really pissed someone off in a past life.
And to top it all of, when I asked what number they had been trying to contact me at (because both these people said they had tried numerous times to ring me), they told me the number which I had told Dell about 20 times was the wrong number. Dell still haven't updated their database with my corrected details after all this time and contact. Duhhhh.
What plebs and muppets Dell have working for them!! :)

Micky Dell I salute you and your hordes of gobshites for running a successfull company, making loads of cash, and all while you provide what has to be one of the crappiest services imaginable. Slainte!

Re: Original thread posting

Paul, if it's any use to you, you can get USB floppy drives for ~€20.

Charge Back

I bought a laptop from Dell last year , the screen went faulty after 3 weeks and the power would cut out on me without warning.

Rang Dell they took it back , i asked for an advice note which stated "15 days return or new machine". Spoke with a manager in CS who stated that they wold have the machine repaired and back to me by that time.
I stated that i would charge the money back to my credit card company as i was out of pocket if they failed me again as i had no machine , was suffereing losses as i had to get a loan replacement etc.. etc...
Needless to say the machine came back , brand new within 7 days.

I dont take any crap from these guys they take your money and send you faulty products , nah dont think so.
Not in this day and age when we have so much legislation to protect us.

USB Drive

Thanks Anotherperson,
I use a memory stick, but thanks for the suggestion. I have a small network at home so I can access files on Floppy if i need them. It's the whole principle of the thing!!
I won't go for Dell products again, I've made PC's before, will go back to doing that I think, even if it does take slightly more organisation and time. At least if it goes wrong I can give out to myself to my hearts content.

Nice one Chillidog, glad you got it sorted in your favor, but to be honest I've lost the will to deal with Dell, you'd nearly lose the will to live having to put up with their crap CS.
Goodluck.

Build your own...

Hi AnotherPerson,

Very interesting post about building your own PC.

Could you recommend any books / detailed guides on the subject?

Also, do you need any special tools, such as a Solder Iron or anything?

Thanks in advance...

Lamped

Back