Delays in rolling out vaccine

I has seen reports of some people in the UK not accepting the Pfizer vaccine as its not British.
Regarding regulatory requirements my wife has mentioned that the EMA is more rigorous in her view due to many reasons, which she can't say, but one obvious reason is they represent a lot more and diverse population.
I don't know about drug approvals but for medical devices the Canadian and Japanese regulatory bodies seem to have the highest standards.

This sounds like a deliberate move by the Oxford team to ensure UK got supply first (potentially funding linked). In December, while the UK regulators were saying approval was only days away, the European regulators stated that formal approval hadn't even been submitted to them. They can't provide approval where none has been sought.

so you are saying that the UK regulators don't care about safety and their own professional reputation, come on, that that is just mud slinging. They didn't put out any false rumours unlike the EMa, they said they would expedite the approval as they were in continuous contact with astra zenaca, and they did exactly as they said they would. It's the EMA that are the problem and this is coming from every eu country

Last edited by a moderator:
so you are saying that the UK regulators don't care about safety and their own professional reputation, come on, that that is just mud slinging. They didn't put out any false rumours unlike the EMa, they said they would expedite the approval as they were in continuous contact with astra zenaca, and they did exactly as they said they would. It's the EMA that are the problem and this is coming from every eu country

How could you possibly interpret that from what I said?

What false rumours did the EMA put out? If you're talking about the retest, then that has been confirmed, right?

What source can you point to showing all EU countries suggesting the EMA are a problem? Do you honestly believe they should approve a vaccine for release to the public before the producer has even requested it? Before they've even submitted the trial data?

Do you honestly believe they should approve a vaccine for release to the public before the producer has even requested it? Before they've even submitted the trial data?
If it's good enough for an Englishman it's good enough for the rest of us, by jingo!

Reactions: Leo
Ill take what ever vaccine I'm offered but I'll be honest if I can get the Pfizer or Moderna one I'll take that.
I'm not suggesting that Astrazeneca did anything wrong but I've yet to see a rationale why their doses gave such differing results.

Their claim that they had to vaccinate the kids of HSE apparatschiks because they just couldn't find any front-line health care workers inside this hospital encapsulates much of what's wrong with Ireland's healthcare bureaucracy - a seemingly gargantuan sense of bureaucratic entitlement coupled with what would appear to be a view of the general public as imbeciles who will accept any excuse.

Last edited:

Their claim that they had to vaccinate the kids of HSE apparatschiks because they just couldn't find any front-line health care workers inside this hospital encapsulates much of what's wrong with Ireland's healthcare bureaucracy - a seemingly gargantuan sense of bureaucratic entitlement coupled with what would appear to be a view of the general public as imbeciles who will accept any excuse.
The vaccine was going to waste, 200 in fact and they tracked down as many as they could were left with 16 and used them. The vaccine has a finite life.

OK the optics are wrong but whats better throw it out?
And the above are the facts.

The vaccine was going to waste, 200 in fact and they tracked down as many as they could were left with 16 and used them. The vaccine has a finite life.

That's the official explanation but it's not credible. Most nurses and hospital porters know other nurses and hospital porters who would have been happy to get the jab had they been asked. There are thousands of them who have not yet been vaccinated.

That's the official explanation but it's not credible. Most nurses and hospital porters know other nurses and hospital porters who would have been happy to get the jab had they been asked. There are thousands of them who have not yet been vaccinated.
According to you its not credible, personally I don't want to see any waste.

They did try and get others vaccinated but 16 doses were left and they were only left due to viles having more than 5 doses in them.
If the vaccines were binned you'd be giving out too.

The problem is that they will need to jump the q for second dose ahead of people who need it more.
It would be more defensible with a single shot vaccine.

200 seems like a lot of vial spares or scheduled doses not taken up.

OK so over 4 million people have not yet been vaccinated but those they could find just randomly happened to include all the hospital boss' kids?
We don't have 4m vaccines to distribute, the vaccine has a short life once opened it needs to be used.
I'm not sure why you are so outraged by this.

The problem is that they will need to jump the q for second dose ahead of people who need it more.

Viles apparently had more than 5 doses.

Thats a fair point getting the second sooner but many are over 70 I believe.

Viles apparently had more than 5 doses.

So in some respects it is arguable they would not have been wasted as they were not 'expected'...

I think they should have drawn the line at under 70s given the need for second dose in a limited time window.
Bumping someone up 1-2 levels is reasonable but not someone at bottom of levels.

Back