Delays in getting court date for traffic offence

I'd have expected the failure of the accused to appear to lead to either a bench warrant, or that they would be found guilty in absentia, rather than causing the case to be struck out.

The accused was a foreigner apparently and the gardai could not locate him was the story given.

I think Brendan is right and you will not get your day in court. I regularly see cars taking a chance going down that road. It can save a mile off their trip, too much of a temptation.
I don't get your logic. I don't see how the temptation to save a mile is relevant, given that the Garda was clear that he would summons the driver himself. Who are you suggesting will decide that I'm not going to get my day in court?
BTW I don't think digital photos are submissable in court, or so I was told.
I'd be very interested in any hard information on this, preferably with references.

delays , oh yes !! i am due to court as a witness following an assault. DPP is taking the idiot who assaulted me to court. The case has already been posponed 4 times ! the fith court appearance is in a few weeks. Impatient to be there.....

I don't get your logic. I don't see how the temptation to save a mile is relevant, given that the Garda was clear that he would summons the driver himself. Who are you suggesting will decide that I'm not going to get my day in court?

Well RainyDay, you and Serial Complainer have a thing about Richmond Avenue. It is now over a year later, so did the Garda bother to do anything or are I are you still waiting for your day in court?

http://www.betterdrivingplease.com/...SearchUserName=SerialComplainer&AllTypes=true

My own pet peeve is the "Bus and Access Only" road down the side of the old EBS and Irish Times HQ (Fleet Street ?). Every day minute of the day, some Tom, Dick or Harry turns right on to it. Yet the Guards do nothing, I have even pointed it out to them as they waited for the cars to top, so they could cross the road.

Hopefully the pictures snapped on my mobile phone clearly showing the car (incl reg number) coming the wrong way down the 1 way street and mounting the path inches from a pedestrian might address any doubts about evidence. See picture, with reg number obscured.

The Garda told me that he had called in the driver and taken a formal statement from him under caution at the station. I would hope that even the inconvenience factor would be a substantial deterrent.

The Garda also stated that these cases don't go to the DPP. He was to submit a file to his Supt who decides whether to prosecute for dangerous driving. But interestingly, the Garda stated that even if the Supt decided not to prosecute, the Garda himself would summons the driver for driving the wrong way down the 1-way street. This comes within the Garda's own powers.

But back to the original question - are these kinds of delays typical, or does it seem like the Garda isn't following up as he had told me he would

A result, after over two years! The Garda who handled the case called me today to tell me the case went to court on Thursday last, and I wasn't needed as witness as my photographs and statement were available. The driver was hit for a €500 donation to charity ([broken link removed]). I'd hope that the €500 plus time off to make a statement and attend court will make him think twice about taking a short cut next time.

My own pet peeve is the "Bus and Access Only" road down the side of the old EBS and Irish Times HQ (Fleet Street ?). Every day minute of the day, some Tom, Dick or Harry turns right on to it. Yet the Guards do nothing, I have even pointed it out to them as they waited for the cars to top, so they could cross the road.

Possibly because it is a handy shortcut to the rear entrance of Pearse Street Garda Station...

My pet one is cars turning right from Grantham Street across the continous white line down the centre of Camden Street and on into Charlotte Way... but there again it is a very handy shortcut to Harcourt Street with its quarter mile of 'loading bay' stretching from the entrance to Harcourt Square down to Copperfaced Jacks (convient or what?) ;)

Back