Debit Card Use Abroad.

fwiw, I've used Revolut to rent cars in both the US (Alamo) and Ireland (Enterprise, Hertz). In all cases I had prepaid using Revolut and taken out the insurance. At the desk, Alamo and Hertz just charged additional for the tank of petrol. Enterprise also wanted a €250 deposit, which was fine because the Revolut had plenty of funds on it. And Alamo was able to subsequently charge my Revolut because I drove onto a toll road without having a transponder. Didn't mean to but the traffic was too confusing to get into the lane that took manual payments. A bit like using the M50 and not paying.

btw, always have an additional card to Revolut. Don't rock up to the rental desk and say, "TLO said it would be fine". Just saying.

Anyway, back to the OP's original question. A Permanent TSB debit card will work in the United States. At the checkout, or an ATM, you may be asked Debit or Credit? Always answer Credit and your transaction will go through.

I've taken cash out in the states, used my debit card without issue and we are with ptsb.
My wife travels with work and has used her debit card in China, Australia, Thailand, Abu Dhabi and Dubai including getting cash never an issue we don't inform the bank either that she is away.

Switching to something like Revolut makes a huge amount of sense. I was getting hammered by BOI for FX and charges. Now I’m getting my FX at spot and not getting hit with charges left, right, and centre.

Another benefit is that my bank statements have gone from 8-10 pages down to a couple of pages because all of the mickey mouse stuff gets Revolut-ed. I also now know what I spend on relatively frivolous stuff.

I got my revolut card in advance of a holiday in USA in 2017. The principal motivation was the FX rate advantage.

My experience of using it for day to day transactions was mixed. Back then USA were some years behind Europe for debit cards and POS devices. One common issue, which may have been my fault, was using POS devices where you had to select whether your card was a debit or a credit card. In a few cases, it identified the card as a credit card, in others as a debit card.

If you have a free revolut card, you are limited to an overall value of ATM withdrawals in one month. And (seemingly) all ATMs charge a fee (between USD 2 and 4).

But, still 'better' than using my BOI VISA debit card.

If you use your Revolut card aboard (in the UK for example) and you have sterling and euro balances on the card, does it automatically take the money from the UK balance? Normally, it may not make a difference but I understand there is a FX charge at the weekend.

you have sterling and euro balances on the card, does it automatically take the money from the UK balance?
Yes.

Normally, it may not make a difference but I understand there is a FX charge at the weekend.
I don't get too excited about this part in my normal use of the card. At the weekend they add 0.5% to the Friday closing FX rate. If I hold a GBP balance in the card it could move in value by more than than on any given day.

it may not make a difference but I understand there is a FX charge at the weekend.
If this is a bugbear why not exchange euro to sterling on Friday afternoon so that it is not a problem. As the Onion pointed out it's not huge in the greater scheme of things anyway.

Back