Death in Service

C

CURIOUS

Very morbid this for a friday afternoon but are we entitled to death in service payment as standard(i.e 2 x salary etc) or is it up to your employer to decide whether they provide this for you. From talking with some of my colleagues, we believe that we do not actually have this in our contracts. Any input would be valuable.....

Death in service benefit is often bundled as part of the company's pension benefits scheme. I've never come across it being specified in an individual's contract but maybe that's possible. There is certainly no statutory entitlement to death in service benefit.

Our employer has an insurance policy for all employees which covers death benifits. Dont think its confined to death in service but I dont really know what this means to be honest. I guess its a perk but did you read your contract ?

re:

Have not read the contract recently but do not remember seeing this benefit included in it. Will have another look but if it is not statutory then chances are we will not be getting it!!!

Re: re:

It is more likely to be found in your pension scheme booklet than your contract of employment.

Back