Dead person's identity and Fbook

• Thread starter helpneededpl
  • Start date
H

helpneededpl

Hi Folks,

My apologies if I have not posted my question under the right category.

This is in relation to my brother who passed way in an accident in the UK. Its been two years and our family is still coping up and getting in terms with what happened.

In last few months, it came to our notice that his then girlfriend (of 7 - 8 months) has been using my late brother's name openly on F'book claiming him as her husband. I am shocked and extremely hurt as he wasn't a married man. This girl has created a profile on his name, listed all his personal details, used all their photos plus some family photos on an open wall (FB) and its disturbing me every moment. None of us (the family) or the people he was sharing the apartment in the UK knew about any such information.

I have reported this issue to F'book in every possible way I can, but they have not done a thing.

I am very distressed do not know what to do? I am already finding it very hard to cope up with my brother's death but her actions are making it worst.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.
HN

Have you asked her to stop or to, at least, make it less public?

Although it's a very odd way for her to cope, it seems to be a huge trauma for her and she might not have thought about the impact of her Facebook on you.

Sorry for your loss.

Firstly I am aware of people who live together but class each other as husband/wife, talk of the inlaws etc (which I dont get by the way).

Secondly I know of a man who too was killed in an accident and his fiancee (had kids) has an active FB page, helps them cope. She reguraly posts photos of him she may have just found or new ones of the kids wearing his teams jerseys etc. Also aware of a young man killed in accident abroad and his ex-girlfriend (she had new partner and children) has a FB page for him (they had one kid).

Maybe this is what your brother's girlfriend is trying to do. Maybe they had a particularly strong relationship, some people know the person they are going to marry after the first meeting.

Perhaps you could send her a private message discussing the situation in calm way. Have you met her?

Hopefully my points wont cause any offence, just looking at it from the other angle.

Sorry to hear of your loss and the on-going upset.

In the UK it is possible for a man and woman to have a relationship where they are recognised as "common law" spouses although they never officially married, thus there may be little FB can do.

It might be difficult for you, but have you considered un-subscribing or un-following the page that is causing you such upset?

Back