Currently renting in Wilton, Cork FTB: Ballincollig,Rochestown,Carrigaline, Douglas?

slipshaney

Hi Guys, I am currently renting in Wilton, Cork but looking to buy my first house. I am looking at the follwing areas:

Douglas/Frankfield/Grange
Rochestown,
Carrigaline
Ballincollig

I work in Ballincollig also but wouldnt mind living there.

I am looking for peoples opinions on the areas really - any help appreciated

Budget is around 300K (less if possible!)

Thanks in advance

S

What type of house are you looking for? Is town center required?
There are lots of larger detached houses in Ballincollig looking for about the 300k. If you want a semi you should get much cheaper.
Do you drive?

Thanks for reply

I am looking for eith semi or detached I think...I have looked n Old Quarter and Classes lake ini ballincollig and in Dunvale, Alderbrook, etc in Douglas. I have also looked in Herons Wood in Carrigaline

I drive to work so location isnt too much of an issue

For 300000 you should have plenty of choice in the semi-detached range - personally of the areas you refer to I would pick Douglas.
It is a mature residential area and all commercial properties etc are in operation. I do not live there myself but I am familiar with it & I am not aware of any ghost estates or high levels of vacancy. There is a pretty good social scene in terms of restaurants, pubs, cinema as well as plenty of shops.

Not sure if it is a consideration but there are plenty of schools, clubs etc too

Potential downside would be that you would have a longer commute than you currently have.

Another downside to Douglas is that there is currently talks of the old cinema becoming an ALDI store, If it was a bottle neck before you may as well buy a helicopter now to get out of there...

Thanks for the help guys. I'm veering towards carrigaline now to be honest..herons wood in particular. Any thoughts?? And advantages and disadvantages to the area??

I feel one way of getting a good view on an area is to go there and wander round. Have a pint in a local pub engage in chat perhaps a visit to the local gardai. You should quickly find out if there are any problem areas. watch out for general appearance of areas

I'm selling a 3 bed semi d in Ballincollig at present if you are interested. PM for more details

If you work in Ballincollig you might as well live there too as it is also fairly close to the city. good spec semi Ds in Fionn Laoi, also check out Highfield Park. Old Quarter is nice enough if a bit high density and they have about 60 unsold houses.

I think commuting from Carrigaline to ballincollig is going to be tough, why not buy closer to work?

Would it be that bad? I start work at 8.15am. Is traffic that bad from herons wood? As for ballincollig, I'm just not sure if I want to work and live in same place

depends on how much you have to spend really, coming from carrigaline down onto the kinsale road roundabout is a nightmare, not sure about 8.15 in the morning but certainly from 8.30 on, takes about 20 mins to get to the roundabout. A friend of mine lives in Herons Wood, lovely spot but hundreds of houses there. Do you have kids or a partner?

No kids but have a partner working on college road. I would be able to stretch to around 280k. Just think there's good value in cline

there are so many houses out there now at that price, you have loads of options, check out the market for houses 320k plus and offer them 250k, I would stay closer to the city if I was you, cline is just a bit far out, personally with the location of jobs etc, westside would prob be better, why not look in wilton/Model Farm Road area?

25 mins or less from Carrigaline to Ballincollig via Ballygarvan/Ballinhassig. You come past viaduct and onto Bandon Rd roundabout or can go back road by Waterfall

looked in mount oval today...seems like a nice place towards thes back of the estate...thinking it might be a disaster to get out of in the mornings tho, and have also read some bad stories about it elsewhere on the site

Was just about to tell you about other posts regarding that area. Whatever you choose make sure and visit the area during the day, in the evening and at the weekend, also check in with the neighbours of the potential house you are looking at, Nice to know who you might be living next door too... that in itself is priceless.