Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I want to know is where is all this 'Wall of maturing SSIA Mula' we were told about at the start of the year that was going to drive the donkey on ?.
I'll offer two theories
  • People believed SSIAs would drive up house prices, so they bought last year against the SSIA (unofficially)
  • The SSIAs that are maturing now tend to be from the more financially astute, who aren't gettting sucked into property. Later SSIAs may behave differently

What I want to know is where is all this 'Wall of maturing SSIA Mula' we were told about at the start of the year that was going to drive the donkey on ?.

As far as I'm aware, the vast majority of SSIA's were taken out in the final 2 months of the scheme, something like 80-90% if I remember correctly. Expect the tidal wave of SSIA mula next March/April/May.

Having said that, I suspect a lot of it is already spent and a very, very large portion of the proceeds, when they arrive, will be used to clear loans and credit cards. I certainly hope so, else the country's shagged.

OK,OK.... I accept that it's a little used but who wants to buy a newish Hammer ! -

View the latest auction results here!

Date: 04/10/2006
Address: 40 & 42 Belmont Avenue, Donnybrook, Dublin 4
AMV: € 4.5m
Auction Result: Withdrawn at €2.4m, 42 - withdrawn at €2.3m, Now both Quoting €5.25m
Estate Agent: Sherry FitzGerald

Address: 21 Leinster Road, Rathmines, Dublin 6
AMV: € 2.3m
Auction Result: Withdrawn, now quoting €2.5m

Address: 14 Elton Park, Sandycove, Co Dublin
AMV: € 3.25m
Auction Result: Withdrawn, now quoting €3.5m

Address: 78 Heytesbury Lane, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4
AMV: € 2.5m
Auction Result: Sold under the hammer for € 3.6m !!!

Address: 7 Mountpleasant Avenue Upper, Ranelagh, Dublin 6
AMV: € 1.8m
Auction Result: Withdrawn, now quoting 1.8m

Address: 75 Haddington Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4
AMV: € 2.2m
Auction Result: Withdrawn at €2.3m, sold after for higher. (really, I still want to see proof !!)

Address: 66 Whitebeam Road, Clonskeagh, Duublin 14
AMV: € 1.6m
Auction Result: Withdrawn, now quoting 1.6m

Address: 14 Ashfield Road, Dublin 6
AMV: € 1.5m
Auction Result: Withdrawn, now quoting €1.5m

Hey, Hope all you Boy and Girls are fast asleep. Remember Mr.ECB Man is coming tomorrow. He wont bring you anything if he catches you peeping !

It's not that I'm pessimistic about the market but if we get 50 basis points tomorrow I changing my name to Yogi !

What time is the Landlord in Frankfurt putting up the rents today ? Imagine some rents will be increasing more than once today and that's now 5 increases since last December.. even my old landlord didn't put it up at that rate.. I also note that houses For Sales in Dublin are now over 3,000 for the first time.. This week last year the For Sale in Dublin was 740... the smart money is on the move..

12.00 announcement, 12.45 for the press conference where we are told what to expect in the new year, and probably nail down the hike in December.

It's not that I'm pessimistic about the market but if we get 50 basis points tomorrow I changing my name to Yogi !

There is an economic theory that the US rises @0.25% were not dramatic enough and the ECB should suprise the markets with a big 0.5% hike at some point.

Had a look on myhome and there doesn't seem to be any shortage of properties on the market in Castleknock. I thinks Phoenix's advice to drop the price is merited, wonder will it be heeded?

I keep an eye on Phibsboro and for the first time today the number of properties on myhome for that area exceeds 50.

Where property bubbles have burst in other markets, it's always been the professional investor that saves the market, buying when they see value.

Has there ever been a bursting property bubble that had so many amateur investors though? Our scenario in Ireland has turned a huge portion of the public into landlords. I think that this is a huge unpredictable wildcard that is more likely to panic and be less able to handle a loss.

I think that this is a huge unpredictable wildcard that is more likely to panic and be less able to handle a loss.

Absolutely. Amateur landlords will be hiding under the duvet, furiously calling the estate agent, questioning why their glorious 1 bed in Donabate isn't selling. My point was that the only thing preventing the market collapsing to zero will be professional investors who will buy when they get a decent yield.

My point was that the only thing preventing the market collapsing to zero will be professional investors who will buy when they get a decent yield.

Yes, you're right. It will of course reach a stage where readjusted yields make it economically viable to BTL once again, and should provide some kind of a floor.

It's possible that there may also be people on low to average wage who have been totally priced out the market currently. Some of these may be in a position to enter should prices drop although it's hard to verify how many would fall into this group, and how long they would be willing to watch the market drop for (since those drops work to their advantage).

Yes, you're right. It will of course reach a stage where readjusted yields make it economically viable to BTL once again, and should provide some kind of a floor.

I agree that this may constitute a floor of sorts but economic viability is also dependent on finding tenants in what may already be a chronic oversupply. We'd be back to fundamentals such as location so I fear for the far-flung investor estates. Having said that, once long term tenants find prices have dropped far enough to render mortgages and rent on a par, this may provide a more "solid" floor.

The problem is in identifying where the support level lies. Its a moving target caused by the very fact that the whole economy is heavily dependent on house price inflation. The support level (for investors) will be a place where net rental yields alone (excluding any possibility of house price inflation) will justify investment. That support level will be very difficult to identify in a market in flux.

Having said that, once long term tenants find prices have dropped far enough to render mortgages and rent on a par, this may provide a more "solid" floor.

Due to herd mentality, it's unlikely that private buyers will step in until professionals put a floor on the market. It's typical bubble activity, unfortunate lemmings pile in at the top and then fear finally keeps others out as they see the disaster unfold.

This is how bad it can get. The support level for condo's in Denver was $110,000, now its $20,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.