Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think in general our road system is far inferior to the rest of the continent's. If the money is there the goverment could spend the next 20 years improving the roads here!

As Gunter (Barry Murphy) once said "Ireland doesn't have a motorway network, it has a series of conincidences"

whizzbang - I accept we will probably be able to spend the next 20 years imporving our minor roads, but these will not be on anything like the same scale as the existing projects so employment will decrease in the sector

superman, if you include people selling the machines, servicing them, repairing them, quarrymen quarrying the material ,machine drivers, engineers, architects etc. etc. how many people are involved at the moment does anybody know?

Are there 50000 people involved at the moment?

This is a bit off topic now. But I think a lot of the road builders are people who have been brought in to the country to build the roads, they then move on to the next job. Be it in this country or another. If memory serves a lot of Spanish and Turks seem to be involved.

whizzbang - I accept we will probably be able to spend the next 20 years imporving our minor roads, but these will not be on anything like the same scale as the existing projects so employment will decrease in the sector

true, and I'm not sure we have the funds or inclination to improve those roads. It all does seem to be going into motorways and feeder routes at the moment.

Could they not build some subways, trams or even mainline trains when they're done with the roads?
Edited to just note that this is completely off-topic! Has this thread become current sentiment toward Ireland's economic future?

I don't want to go off topic but I believe another sector of the construction industry is going to enter a slowdown at the same time as the housing boom starts to wilt. This will lead to fewer buyers amd a greater availability of labour.

And if they all leave then who is going to rent all the houses they have been living in for the last few years?

Has this thread become current sentiment toward Ireland's economic future?

when you consider construction / property has become a massive proportion of our economy then it's one in the same really

Whatever about sentiment on this thread. What about the effect on general sentiment when people read this headline walking down O'Connell st.

I'm with you Arthur. In my nearly 3 years back home, the Heralds headline today is a MILESTONE. Let's open a new thread....

Whatever about sentiment on this thread. What about the effect on general sentiment when people read this headline walking down O'Connell st.

Popped into a Spar at lunchtime - it jumps right out at you from the Herald : "HOUSE PRICE BOOM OVER" - massive headline. For anyone following this thread, the Herald makes very interesting reading this evening.

I'm with you Arthur. In my nearly 3 years back home, the Heralds headline today is a MILESTONE. Let's open a new thread....

It's going to be seen on every streetcorner in the city and junction on the M50,the cat is out of the bag.

In case anyone missed it earlier, the text of the "One Small Step for Rates....." article you can find here

[broken link removed]

We are moving into the self fulfilling prophecy side of things now with headlines like that. Between owners selling up quickly and buyers "getting nervous" the definite slowness of the season will be compounded!

First of all I am bearish, always have been, although recently my bearishness has not been as acute as previously (but thats another topic).

However, the current media analysis of late (e.g. Indo, Herald) smacks of opportunism on the part of these publications. We've seen the shoddy research from the Indo's point of view with them lifting quotes or misreading stats from this forum and presenting them as general sentiment or facts. I just think they are jumping the gun on this one right now.

I was in the Sony Store at Stephen's Green a little while back. Who did I see checking out the LCD TVs ? Austin Hughes!

If only I had bumped into him today with my copy of the evening herald under my arm!

I just think they are jumping the gun on this one right now.

I don't know how many times I've seen huge headlines announcing House Prices Rocketing etc etc over the past 10 years. Now that the market has weakened at least they are being consistent in their amplification.

I don't think they're jumping the gun at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.