Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who keep quoting the "Debt is 190% of GDP":
Don't forget that GDP is artificially high in Ireland due to low tax rates.
The Debt to GNP ratio would be a far more interesting figure...

Good point. In the US and most of Europe, GDP is about the same as GNP. In Ireland, I believe GDP is about 30% higher than GNP - skewed by multinational activity.

If we compare on the GNP basis it puts the Irish debt ratio closer to xxxxx <censored on the basis of being too scary even for this thread>

All this talk of "in-the-know-ness" is annoying me now (a recurring theme in this thread). Either name this well-known property developer, ......... I'm sure your intention was to give more credibility to your opinion by declaring yourself more "in-the-know", but your opinion is actually diminished by failing to reveal your source!

point well made cellopoint and it certainly does detract from the credibility of the conversatino from both sides

Source was the post on AAM (don’t know how to link to other posts) stating that "Debt is 190% of GDP"
If that is the worst in the world and since it is a ratio then dividing both sides of the ratio by the population will keep the same ratio so that too must be the worst in the world.

StoppedClock... househole+government debt is 96% of GDP and that is lower than it was in 1990.

household debt is 72% of gdp and that is lower than US and UK. above eu average though, maybe deomograhics differences between ireland and eu? we are young they are old.

again please correct if see a prob(with source)
my source: , bank of ireland

i have been reading this thread couple of days and there a lot of negativity, and sometimes unfounded negativity. we better stop believing the rumours.

again, i wouldnt mind prices go down, i dont own a house.

anybody knows property sales per yr in ireland?
back of the envelop calculations, could be way off

800 mortgages are being approved in ireland per day, thats almost 200k a year, 13% are morgage swithcing, source rte.ie, so 175k are buyers..
lets say half of them actually buy, 88k?(could be more)

so 88*5=440k houses are empty?

2000 80,858
2001 69,062
2002 93,136
2003 97,888
2004 104,305
2005 120,637

Figures for mortgage approvals (CSO or DOE)

point well made cellopoint and it certainly does detract from the credibility of the conversatino from both sides

agreed, it would be great if we could keep this to published/verifiable facts as often as possible rather than rumors. They don't help anybody.

If anyone has evidence of a major player in the market selling up then I'd definitly be interested! Chances are the smart ones ill keep it secret though.

2000 80,858
2001 69,062
2002 93,136
2003 97,888
2004 104,305
2005 120,637

Figures for mortgage approvals (CSO or DOE)

thanks, think CSO dont publish residential property transactions,
800 per day is recent figure that i used..

problem is not all mortgage approvals result in peroprty transactions.im mortgage approved, havnt bought(yet), there are others out there like me.

anybody knows property sales per yr in ireland?
back of the envelop calculations, could be way off

800 mortgages are being approved in ireland per day, thats almost 200k a year, 13% are morgage swithcing, source rte.ie, so 175k are buyers..
lets say half of them actually buy, 88k?(could be more)

so 88*5=440k houses are empty?

No, yer forgetting we're just emerging from a speculating frenzy where everyone and his dog was buying 2 or 3 BTL/"investment" properties. In terms of the number of properties we actually need each year, that's about 50-60K - and that's assuming immigration flows continuing at current rates. The "Pope's Children" demographic bulge has peaked for the usual "settling down and buying property" age group (say 25-35). If all the Poles decide to leave for pastures new, we really only need maybe 45K units a year.

There were 125K "investment" properties lying empty at the beginning of the year, with around 80K new units planned to be built in 2006.

We have massive oversupply, and that's before the stampede for the exits from the BTL/"investment" amateur brigade if prices start to fall.

Plus, that 800-a-day figure includes equity-release, top-up and pure investor mortgages. FTBs and trader-upper mortgages only account for less than half of that.

gosh who to trust..
i guess fitch do not mean household debt, they are including all private sector debt i.e. also corporate debt.
if im buying house do i give monkeys about corporate debt?

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

oops

Plus, that 800-a-day figure includes equity-release, top-up and pure investor mortgages. FTBs and trader-upper mortgages only account for less than half of that.

we were just tryin to calculate property transactions because somebody said 5 yr supply is unoccupied..

investors mortgage to buy, no?

thanks for pointing out the that num included equity releases, rte reporter missed that.

I imagine some reasonable percentage of corporate debt is property debt also?
All those expensive sites in ballsbridge, etc, hardly show up on someones monthly mortgage statement. Yet.

I imagine some reasonable percentage of corporate debt is property debt also?
All those expensive sites in ballsbridge, etc, hardly show up on someones monthly mortgage statement. Yet.

good point, what i have read is that worldwide there is very little correlation between residential and commercial property inflation, dont know whats the the correlation in irish commercial and residential markets... any ideas?
as a consumer my debt servicing is not imapacted by lets say intels or jury's debt.. theirs depends on economy, or macro economics, im not economist though take it by grain of salt,

good point, what i have read is that worldwide there is very little correlation between residential and commercial property inflation, dont know whats the the correlation in irish commercial and residential markets... any ideas?

I think that there is a pretty strong correlation between commercial and residential markets. London commercial suffered a severe slump in the early 90's as did Tokyo and New York (see link).

[broken link removed]

PS

A link to IPD which has good data on commercial returns, growth etc for Ireland.

[broken link removed]

Worth comparing these performance figures with Germany.
[broken link removed]

(Interesting how office rents have remained pretty much static in New York for the twenty year period covered in this chart)

"We're closer to Boston then Berlin"

That's been the boast over the years to reassure everyone that all is ok with our debt-based "approach" to the economy.

Just saw on Bloomberg TV a professor saying that Boston is now suffering the most severe property crisis in the US. The price falls recorded there are worse than anywhere else in the US.

Oh Dear!

"We're closer to Boston then Berlin"

That's been the boast over the years to reassure everyone that all is ok with our debt-based "approach" to the economy.

Just saw on Bloomberg TV a professor saying that Boston is now suffering the most severe property crisis in the US. The price falls recorded there are worse than anywhere else in the US.

Oh Dear!

I hope they don't start blaming the 'Anglo-Saxon' model when things go pear shaped....:D The last thing this government needs (especially with all the trouble at the moment) is for the bubble to burst before the next election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back