Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's an electric picnic when it's at home?? Or am I showing my age?

It's a new kind of picnic basket. You can get them in PowerCity or Harvey Norman I think for about €50. They're battery powered but you can run them from the 12v socket in a car. Basically they have a built in lighting and sound system so you can enjoy your hang sangwiches and tea in style. There's an electric picnic owners club meeting somewhere in Laois where they all gathered this weekend.

It's a new kind of picnic basket. You can get them in PowerCity or Harvey Norman I think for about €50. They're battery powered but you can run them from the 12v socket in a car. Basically they have a built in lighting and sound system so you can enjoy your hang sangwiches and tea in style. There's an electric picnic owners club meeting somewhere in Laois where they all gathered this weekend.

Are you taking the michael?:D Sounds way too classy for Power City!

This thread is always quiet at weekends...no one is in work!:D I'd even venture to say that Mrs. Whathome has abandoned you for the day or you'd be getting Whatfor, browsing and carousing on the internet on a Sunday!!;)

I'd even venture to say that Mrs. Whathome has abandoned you for the day or you'd be getting Whatfor, browsing and carousing on the internet on a Sunday!!;)

She'll be home soon and I haven't even started on any of the housework or ironing :eek:

Regarding Rent Allowance:
It saves maintenance costs of social housing, it also saves employing public sector employees to look after the social housing.
Also from a social perspective, it disperses people who are entitled to such things rather than ghettoise them. (which is a good thing).

I'm not as convinced as you that it is such a bad thing.

The tax situation regarding Landlords is a different matter.

Regarding Rent Allowance:
It saves maintenance costs of social housing, it also saves employing public sector employees to look after the social housing.
Also from a social perspective, it disperses people who are entitled to such things rather than ghettoise them. (which is a good thing).

I would suggest that the money be ploughed into Affordable Housing or the Shared Ownership Scheme. If people effectively own their own homes public sector employees only have to look after the administration. I'm sure the Rent Allowance Scheme requires a lot of admin. already!

I don't see the need to ghettoise people either. The Government should learn from the sins of the past and realise they have created a great deal of the current anti social behaviour in our society. They took people who were used to living close to Dublin (and I'm sure this happened in other areas), and stuck them in the back of beyonds. Yes they had a house but with no amenities, parks or youth orientated venues!! What did they think would happen?:mad:

More funds could be given to innovative projects such as the one started by 2 Ringsend women, who saw their area become far too expensive for locals, they organised and built a whole apartment block strictly for residents of the area!:cool:

If two women from Ringsend can do it, why can't our politicians?

Might be a few cheap houses for sale in the leixlip area soon!!.
Intel in Leixlip wont be affected much by the upcoming jobs cull. They survived two previous culls without losing anyone and only recently opened new billion dollar facilities there. Being based in Ireland saves a lot on the tax bill of intel.

Yeah, but the spiraling cost of labour, energy, insurance and transportation in ireland is slowly negating the benefits of tax savings.

Yeah, but the spiraling cost of labour, energy, insurance and transportation in ireland is slowly negating the benefits of tax savings.
Labour costs arent a primary concern for microprocesser manufacturers as AMD's new plants in USA and Germany indicate. Energy for industry isnt as expensive as for consumer, I've yet to hear of any of these multinationals complain about the energy prices here. Other costs may be rising but we've yet to see widespread departures from the hi tech multinationals here for cost reasons. A lot will go in next decade or two but they seem happy enough to be here at present making lots of profit and paying low tax on it. there doesnt seem to pay many more of these high value jobs coming into the country which is more worrying . We can only remain a prosperous nation by exporting high value added goods and services, but unfortunately the economys current expansion is'nt much down to this form of economic activity at present.

opened Ireland on Sunday this morning and there is an ad from Dublin City Council. They stated that they are to begin purchasing private residential properties and asked those interested to contact them.
They've been doing this for years, all councils buy houses in private estates to house social housing recipients.

Thats common practice by the council. They start with one or two properties and then as prices stagnate in these areas due to the types of clients that the council put in these houses, they step in and buy more.Willow park in athlone was a beautiful residential area built in the eighties.The council started buying houses there about 3 years ago .you can now buy a 4 or 5 bed semi in that area for 160 k which is at least 100k below equivalent properties in other ares of athlone.and at the last count on daft there were 30 for sale in this one area.

They've been doing this for years, all councils buy houses in private estates to house social housing recipients.

Correct, they've been at that for years. It would take a hell of a lot of buying to save the market! In Lucan alone there are nearly 100 more houses for sale now than in April this year. They would have to spend approx €35,000,000 to reduce inventory to spring levels in just one area.:eek:

I don't think that they have. Up until now social and affordable housing has either been specifically built for that purpose or acquired under the 20% of housing in new developments provision. I think that the decision to begin purchasing housing on the open market is a new iniatative. Although there is a precedent in the governments growing role in supporting the private rented market.

Does this mean that builders who chose to make a very small donation instead of supplying affordable housing, can now sell these same houses back to Dublin City Council at above the market value?? If this is the case then the builder gets to market the estate as having no affordable housing (which puts some people off), then saves himself advertising/estate agent fees by selling to the council.

I.dont know why people are afraid of affordable housing in a private area .The people who get these houses are working , they just dont earn a large amount,Its the social housing that could cause the problem ,as it is the councils decision who gets the social housing and the background of some tenants on the social housing list leaves a lot to be desired.

So someone could buy the house that they're renting from the Council under the Tenant Purchase Scheme at a very attractive price with no stamp duty etc. They could even get a loan from the Council to facilitate this.

[broken link removed]

....and then sell it back to them at a nice profit :D

[broken link removed]

Lovely!

That I very much doubt - presumably Intel, in common with any other US multinational based here use Ireland to book all (or virtually all) of their EU profits, thus saving billions in tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back