Curious about time off Funerals

Exactly Salvadore

And it was usually left to individuals. The recent memo was out of character and hit a sour note.

If individuals took advantage and had a jaunt across the country for a bereaved person they didn’t know then a quiet word with them and a warning would have sufficed. A company wide memo was cold and inappropriate.

Recently, an elderly cousin of mine died who happened to be an ex colleague. I went to the removal the night before to pay my respects and myself and many cousins explained we would not be at the funeral because of work commitments the next day. The day of the funeral, I found out to my surprise that many of my colleagues had been given the day off to attend it, as he was an ex-colleague. This was not extended to me, even though he was my cousin. I didn't request it as I did not want to fall behind at work. I have seen on many occasions in my workplace that the usual self-important suspects are granted days off, by my boss to attend funerals / events, and they do not have to request annual leave or special leave. Other's would have to jump through hoops to even get it as annual leave. Public service.

Back