Crows hammering on windows

M

MichaelL

I have a problem at the minute with two or three crows hammering at the windows on my bungalow at various times during the day.

As well as being a nuisance, it also means that they are setting the burgular alarm off.

Does anyone have any tips on stopping this?

Deterrents etc?

Hang a picture of something that will scare the crows - like a huge vulture, or Willie O'Dea - in the window.

I have to confess that I really thought that my 'Willie' comment was highly amusing, but Piggy is streets ahead of me. Hats off....

Re: Sueellen sorting out 2 comedians and Crows

Michael,

I'll take a hammer to these two comedians and see how they feel then - if only they would put their intelligent brains to good use and find you a solution - but leave it with me I'll sort them out yet ;)

There's a reference in this thread to possibly placing a photo in the windows and an explanation re same, maybe this might work.

:)

Sorry Michael. Couldn't resist.

Can't find anything specific to crows but assume it's the same problem with these fellas...

[broken link removed]
Many people become alarmed or annoyed when birds start attacking their windows in spring. The male cardinal pecking at your window is fighting what he perceives as an intruder and is simply defending his territory— he doesn't understand that it's his own reflection. In fact, both males and females may do this, especially species that often nest close to houses, such as American Robins, Northern Cardinals, Chipping Sparrows, and Song Sparrows.

Try covering the outside of the window with netting or fabric so the reflection is no longer visible. You can also try drawing soap streaks across the window to break up the reflection.

www.birds.cornell.edu/pro...sions.html

Thanks Sueellen,

Your link is broken though, I had to remove [broken link removed] from the start of it to get the link.

I will get the scissors etc out tonight, it will be like Junior Infants all over again, should be worth a try.

No worries lads, its Monday afternoon, I knew when I typed it that it could attract a comment or two

Piggy,

That last one makes some sense, they never attack the bathroom windows which are frosted and therefore they can't see their reflection.

Yeah. Think it must be the reflection alright. I was sitting at home a few weeks ago in the living room and this little bird kept jumping/flying from a tree beside the winodw right into the window. I felt sorry for the poor little sod. He obviously wasn't the brightest little feathered critter. He'd smack his head off the window and hastily retreat to his previous perch...looking into the nothingness with disbelief before having another go...secure in the knowledge that the tree in front of him looked exactly the same as the one he was on...and that feckin rival bird was just staring at him...really asking for it he was!

I was hoping to find that picture which was used somewhere in Carlow I think it was......sillage bails with 'FECK OFF CROWS' painted on it......cant find it now......

There you go, but you'd need smaller versions to fit on the window sills.......

Back