Cross Border Worker


Frequent Poster
Currently on JA, I have been offered a job in northern ireland, income is quite low approx 21,000 STG before tax. I have been trying to find information on child tax credits, universal credit etc in Northern Ireland. My question really is as follows?
If I am in a low income job in northern ireland is my wife allowed to sign on job seekers in the south where we live.? I know this is a means tested payment. or are we better claiming the tax credits in northern ireland such as universal credit. The working family payment does not come into play here because I would be working outside the state but is universal credit the equivalent system in Northern Ireland. I have been calling numerous agencies and departments but its proving really difficult to get the right information as a cross border worker is quite a complex case.