County Council fees - ever not pay?

I have just paid the 3rd installment of a 15k development contribution in Fingal ... To be fully paid by the completion of the build and its only a 1450 sq/ft house ... The contribution is not only for my benefit but the surrounding area such as path/kerd/greens upkeeping, public infrastructure and facilities in the area ... I'm told ...I may never in my life-time see what has been done with my money, but there you are ... I would have gladly made a contribution of say 5k twords the church roof around the corner or things for the kids classroom in the local school ... Am I the only one who looks at it this way ??

Because of a lack of funding from central government, councils have to raise their own money. Developments contributions have increased dramatically over the past few years as they're a handy source of revenue for councils.

If you need a connection to the local water supply/sewage system, they have you over a barrel and you'll pay up; the councils know this of course.

Last edited:
I have just paid the 3rd installment of a 15k development contribution in Fingal ... To be fully paid by the completion of the build and its only a 1450 sq/ft house ... The contribution is not only for my benefit but the surrounding area such as path/kerd/greens upkeeping, public infrastructure and facilities in the area ... I'm told ...I may never in my life-time see what has been done with my money, but there you are ... I would have gladly made a contribution of say 5k twords the church roof around the corner or things for the kids classroom in the local school ... Am I the only one who looks at it this way ??

Completely agree with you Salem if you were given a choice of contributing towards certain projects and seeing it make a real difference instead of it going into a big fund.

On a more serious note how impartial is the council when approving new projects given that the more they approve the more money they will collect. For instance if if apply for permission to build a 10000 sq metre warehouse would the council look at the visual impact e.t.c or would they be swayed by collecting the million plus in levies

Back