County Cavan/Leitrim

Hi Caveat,

Thank you so much for your report on Carrick! It was really nice of you to post so much information on the town. I have learnt a lot and it really does sound like a very nice spot. I think we have decided on Leitrim County and will try and rent within maybe a 5 mile radius of Carrick as it really sounds like it has everything we like - sceneary, low crime, places to hike, bike, arts etc. We will have to rent a house due to having 2 large dogs but appears to be quite a few houses for rent on Daft. Will also look into East Roscommon as you and some others have said.

Thank you to everyone for your posts, you have been a great help.:D

Last edited:
Carrick on Shannon is nice, but not all that cheap; plenty of work around there though, and also lots of opportunities just down the road in Sligo. New road from Carrick on Shannon to Sligo, and also good rail connection.

Have you thought about Boyle in North Roscommon, ten miles from Carrick on Shannon in the Sligo direction. I know someone who bought a house there a few weeks back and it was surprisingly cheap -- very nice 4 bed/2 bath home on over an acre with stables etc for 220k! Lots of places for sale there and appears to be very much a buyers market.

I was in that area a week or so ago and I was amazed at Carick on Shannon in particular -- loads of new stores, all the big names, and a great quality of life. Are we all mad, living on the expensive east coast?[/quote]

Definitely! I've been telling people that for years! :)

Cavan has 365 lakes one for each day of the year. Very nice lakes around Bailieborough, Virginia and Shercock. Good for boating and fishing. People are commuting to Dublin from all of these towns. All are within easy reach of the bigger towns ofCavan, Kells, Navan, Dundalk and of course Newry in northern Ireland. Good luck with your search.
I think you may have confused Cavan with Lough Erne! There are 365 islands in Lough Erne, which straddles Cavan and Fermanagh etc. But Cavan would be an excellent location for a family. Good supply of cheap houses and among others Sean Quinn is still providing plenty of jobs.

hi Colorado, have a look at north Leitrim also, Dromahair is very pretty also and very close to Sligo for work, sea, lots of archaeological sites plus the facilities of a bigger sized town. Manorhamilton and Kiltyclogher also might be worth a mention.

Back