could someone give me the name of a good car dealer in south dublin or wicklow area?

Re: Buying A Car. Info

Link please. I'm pretty certain a used car can be legally sold "as is" by a dealer.

If a dealer sells you a new or used car, the car thatthey sell you must be of "Merchantable quality" this means that it must do what it is designed to do.

If there are underlying faults with the vehicle, the consumer has the right to return the product to the dealer.

Your rights cover " repair, replace or refund"

Wear and tear does come into it as in reasonable wear and tear.

But for example if the dealer tells the customer that the car was fully serviced and it turns out otherwise, then the customer is within their rights to return the car and request one of the three R's.

The customer must give the dealer a fair opportunity to carry out repairs etc.

If the dealer does not wish to play ball then you go down the route of the NCA and the SIMI.

The dealer can be brought to court by the NCA as in the example set on the first link I posted.

So to summarize, the consumer has got certain rights and avenues of redress.

Many of the sold as seen cars are sold within the trade.

Ie dealer x sells it to dealer y who fixes the car to a standard of merchantable quality.

Unfortunatley many Insurance companies sell on Insurance write offs which then re-emerge on our roads and can be extremley hazardous.

www.cartell.ie and www.motorcheck.ie have issued press releases in the past on this subject.

I read all those links. No mention of a 2 year warranty applying to all used cars (I think).

Many used cars, which were of merchantable quality and fit for purpose at the time of sale, will develop faults with in 2 years. Engines/Gearboxes etc. In the absence of a specified warranty offered by the seller, there's no redress.

It's quite normal for a car trader to sell "sold as seen" vehicles, normally relatively cheaply, to the public. If such a car for example blows it's engine 6 months later, there's no consumer redress either.

p.s. Some new cars only offer a 1 year manufacturers warranty.

Which new cars are you talking about?

Anyway back to the point.

www.drivemagazine.ie have just launched a new Digi mag that you can download for free from the homepage of their website.

It seems to be a good idea, environmentally friendly to a point.

Plus you get test drives which you don't get on most used car sites these days.

I reckon that you would like it RS2k

Thanks, but the point was your statement that all used cars had a 2 year warranty.

I believe you are incorrect.

I don't make the laws mate, I only learn em.

Makes less than no sense. I'll restate that I believe no automatic 2 year warranty exists on the purchase of a used car.

I've less than no interest in arguing over it however. Lets establish the facts hey? Nothing else matters.

This is one of those theory versus reality things. In theory Frank speaks the truth, but in reality, as far as used cars are concerned anyway, you will have to find a big chassis weld or something for this to be of any relevence.
A warranty is very different and does protect you if a turbo goes after a few months wheras the law as Frank advocates does not in this instance. Thats the reality of it. A used car is a used car and no garage are bound by the law to underwrite the used parts that are in them (Hence warranty's as a point of sale). You may get somewhere if it were a new car, but the question is not about buying a new car. Its an 8k used car he has in mind. It is misleading to tell him he can take his 8K used golf back to a dealership 15 months later if the timing belt goes. If he had an 2008 Golf then the law would apply, but he would have a full warranty in this instance..
You take a chance buying private that nothing will happen for probably the first3 to 6 months, however in my experience, if you do your basic homework and get a car properly checked the savings as well worth it as for the paltry period you will probably get the warranty, nothing serious is likely to go wrong.
For an 8 K used car a cursery investigation and mechanic examination will tell you anything that would have made this whole debate revelent or not.

You can take advantage of the cheaper prices offered by a private sale and still have the convenience and security offered by a garage sale:

Warranties
Aftermarket warranties are offered for cars sold privately. Different levels of warranties are offered depending on your requirements. Normally there are clauses that the car has to have been fully serviced and is less than 10 ten years old \100k miles.
See Warranty Direct - www.warrantydirect.ie
They also have a useful reliability index based on the claims against them: http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/tophundred.html?apc=3128339010848601.
If you’re buying from a garage and they offer you a warranty ensure to get it in writing and read the small print to see what is included and more importantly what is not. Also if they try and sell you an extended warranty haggle with them on the price – they can have margins in excess of 100% on these policies.

Finance
Finance is often cheaper to source independently rather than through a garage who normally get a commission from the bank on any loan.
Personal loans are available from 6.7%. See www.itsyourmoney.ie for rates available.
Ensure to ask any garage offering finance that they quote the APR, not the flat rate. The flat rate is often quoted to hide expensive finance. Don't be be put off haggling on the APR, as there is normally room for movement on this.

Valet
A car sold by a garage should be pretty much spotless. The difference between a garage sale and a private sale can sometimes just be a valet. You can get your car valeted from around €50.

Vehicle History Check
See earlier postings.

Car Inspection
An independent garage can offer an inspection service from €50.

Personally I wouldn’t buy a car unless it has a full service history. I'd be wary where there is no service history and of claims that my "Mate\Dad" did the servicing.

Check the dates of the services to ensure that they have occurred regularly i.e. if the car has been serviced every 6 months for 3 years and then it hasn’t been serviced for 18 months and only done 3,000 miles ask why. The car could have been clocked. Check the service book for stamps and ensure that all the pages are in the book (the pages are numbered). Some unscrupulous sellers remove pages from the service history in order to hide the history of the car and turn the clock back. Also check the screws for the speedo unit to see if they have been removed. If so ask why. Again this could be a sign of clocking.

If the price is fair instead of asking for a discount ask the vendor to include a service by the franchised dealer. If there’s nothing wrong with the car they shouldn’t mind doing this.

Back