could someone give me the name of a good car dealer in south dublin or wicklow area?

cleverclogs7

I would like to buy a car could someone give me the name of a good car dealer in south dublin or wicklow area.Is it better to go through a dealer or private.
Thank

Re: Buying A Car. Info

In general it's best to buy from a dealer.

It costs more than a private sale but you can go back to a dealer if you have a problem.

You have a choice between Independant dealers and main dealers.

The first thing you look for is SIMI affiliation.

If the dealer is not a member of the Society of the Irish Motor Industry you can expect problems if you need to go back to them post purchase.

You will be able to search used cars at www.carzone.ie although all you will get is make and price, no info on the cars that are being sold. You can also try www.donedeal.ie www.whatcar.ie in fact used car websites are generally ten a penny these days.

You can try www.drivemagazine.ie for new car info as they test drive all the new stuff.

Beyond that I would say it's budget and personal taste that will close the deal.

If you haven't already given it much thought, you should maybe prioritise the following:

Performance
Space
Reliability
Comfort
Looks
Driving experience
Price

And also decide on a 'shape' e.g. hatchback, saloon, coupé, estate...etc

I'm sure many here can advise on models then.

If you can buy a car privately, with a fsh, and which is still within manufacturers warranty, it'd be better still.

I would like to buy a car could someone give me the name of a good car dealer in south dublin or wicklow area.Is it better to go through a dealer or private.
Thank

The post is very vague. You haven't specified a make, model, petrol or diesel, large or small, saloon hatchback or estate. It's a buyer's market at the moment and particularly when you go the private route.

Go private and get a good mechanic to look at any car your serious about. It'll save you loads. Dealer warranty's are short lived. I dont think its that big a risk for a car of that price thats properly checked.
Do some research yourself on what to look for when buying a used car

Under the sale of goods and services act you actually get a two year warranty on any used car that you purchase from a garage.

You do not get the same from a private sale.

A warranty from a dealership is just an added bonus, it does not affect your statutory rights

Yes, but if a shock or a cv joint goes on a car 18 months after buying you are not covered by such laws. This is the difference with the warranty which is probably only 3 to 6 months long. The law does not cover with ware and tare and you will get no where on this when it comes to cars. I have check this before and to be honest its common sense really. A car is not exactly a TV set and its very difficult to prove goods were not up to scratch when sold, allowing that you may have been driving it off road in the mean time. It really is only of use where cars have unsafe repairs that are discovered later, or cars that may be proved to be clocked etc.

Like I said get a good mechanic and a good price, as even the warranty's given are difficult to get dealers to stand by.

You can also get an AA report done.

It costs a few bob but it depends on what you are going to spend.

Under the sale of goods and services act you actually get a two year warranty on any used car that you purchase from a garage.

Am very interested in this post, so if a car is out of warranty with the garage and there's a major fault is one within their rights to demand that the problem be fixed under the sales of goods and services act despite that the sale papers were signed by both the purchaser and the garage confirming that there was say a 6month warranty period?

Listen to Newstalk 106 on a Friday morning the "Know your rights" show with Andrew Mc Cann.

Every Friday I hear horror stories from across the board.

Many of the motoring issues revolve around warranties.

I would also reccomend that you speak to the National consumer agency.

The SIMI will not take a call from you, however if you call the NCA they will handle your problem and deal with the SIMI on your behalf.

www.nca.ie

So if the dealer sold you a car knowing that it was faulty to the point of being dangerous , under the consumer protection act of 2007, they have also broken the law and can now be pursued.

A warranty is an added bonus.

Your statutory rights superceed any warranties.

So if the dealer sold you a car knowing that it was faulty to the point of being dangerous , under the consumer protection act of 2007, they have also broken the law and can now be pursued.

This is correct - and would have been avoided with a proper check to begin with, as you should with any sale whether dealer or private. But - If you can show a private seller done this you have recourse also. I have seen this happen. You cant KNOWINLY sell a faulty car regardless of who you are.

You sure about that? Can you provide a link or evidence to back it up?

Sale of goods and services act 1980

Consumer protection act 2007