Cost of replacing damaged bumper and rear light

Yorky

A friend has to pay to replace a rear bumper and light on a Suzuki Alto and has no idea how much to expect to pay (it was a light touch and only cosmetic damage)

Does anyone know what the approximate total cost would be?

Thanks in advance

I've had to do this twice, and it costs more than you think.

In both my cases, the bumper bar also had to be replaced. You might not need this, so labour costs will be lower. However nobody will provide a quote without it until the remove the bumper and know it hasn't been damaged.

The replacement bumper is supplied in a standard colour, and is resprayed to match the car, so there's a good bit of labour.
On mine:
Toyota Avensis 1,200 - there were no broken lights
Opel Astra I paid 1,300 incl 1 rear light, new number plate and number plate lights.

Parts will be cheaper on the Alto, but it'll be expensive enough to do it right. Something like:
Bumper 200
Light 100
Paint & materials 160
Labour 300+
+ VAT

Try a breakers yard
A friend has to pay

A breaker's yard probably won't do. It looks like the friend has to pay a 3rd party for the damage. If your car was damaged by somebody, would you accept a second hand part from a breaker's yard?

A light touch/cosmetic damage has a way of turning out expensive. A rear bumper won't be cheap. The bumper will also need to be primed and painted and then fitted... so labour costs involved too.

A breaker's yard probably won't do. It looks like the friend has to pay a 3rd party for the damage. If your car was damaged by somebody, would you accept a second hand part from a breaker's yard?

A light touch/cosmetic damage has a way of turning out expensive. A rear bumper won't be cheap. The bumper will also need to be primed and painted and then fitted... so labour costs involved too.

Quite a few car repair centers but stuff off breakers and reprint them too suit cars.
Mainly it's done on your own car and not sumbody else's.
It's a way of keeping the cost down.
But rest assured if sumbody hit me I'd be expecting a new bumper from the main dealer and it too be repaired from a main dealer.
If it was my own car I wouldn't go near a main dealer.

Quite a few car repair centers but stuff off breakers and reprint them too suit cars.
Mainly it's done on your own car and not sumbody else's.
It's a way of keeping the cost down.
But rest assured if sumbody hit me I'd be expecting a new bumper from the main dealer and it too be repaired from a main dealer.
My last car was 8 years old and with about as much as a bag of bruised apples. When a young driver hit me from behind and didn't want to go through his insurance I had my local body shop get a second hand bumper and re-spray it.

This is the attitude which fuels unnecessary and exaggerated insurance claims.

I don’t think that’s a fair comment. If some eejit rear-ends you, you’re entitled to get it fixed to the highest standard. Yes if it’s your own money, you can make a judgement call around cost versus benefit. But if someone else caused the problem, they should restore things back to the status quo insofar as possible.

I was involved in a fender bender five years ago. Hit the back of a similar small car. Hardly any damage done to my own car. Cost me €2,000.

The thing is car manufacturers realised years ago that bumpers were costly them money. Cars don't have them anymore. You hit the back of a car, you have to replace the back panel. And car parts are expensive

Completely untrue. If someone crashes into you, you are under no obligation to have it repaired with second hand parts. Insurance companies use a motor assessor too, so exaggerated claims aren't commonplace. You don't get people getting new alloys and sound system on someone else's policy.

No - it's an recommendation \ advisory only.

“It is not going to be a legal requirement and there is two reasons for that. First of all, the science around it indicates that it may be beneficial but it’s certainly no substitute for all of the other things like washing your hands, social distancing and respiratory etiquette. Secondly, there are some people who will have allergies to face masks and face coverings, and things like that, and we have to bear that in mind. It is face coverings and there will be lots of information made available to people showing how to

If the person who hit me wanted too settle outside of the insurance,that would be fine.it would really depend on the attitude of the said driver.

If the person who hit me wanted too settle outside of the insurance,that would be fine.it would really depend on the attitude of the said driver.

Settling outside of insurance is fine; I had a guy crash into me once and he wanted to do that, which was fine, but he also wanted to choose the garage, which was not fine. I was more than fair, in that I’d some pain in my foot which I got checked out through my GP and in Santry Sports Clinic; they said I’d be fine in a couple of weeks so I passed on those bill plus got the repair done in the main dealer I’d purchased the car through. The other person moaned a bit but they’ve no right to moan; stop crashing into people if you’re not happy.

Settling outside of insurance is fine; I had a guy crash into me once and he wanted to do that, which was fine, but he also wanted to choose the garage, which was not fine. I was more than fair, in that I’d some pain in my foot which I got checked out through my GP and in Santry Sports Clinic; they said I’d be fine in a couple of weeks so I passed on those bill plus got the repair done in the main dealer I’d purchased the car through. The other person moaned a bit but they’ve no right to moan; stop crashing into people if you’re not happy.

Gordon,is a lad crash into me outside a pub many moons ago.i was actually sitting in my car and he reversed out into me.anyway out I get too talk and you could smell the drink off him.
He agreed too pay outside of insurance and told me his friend has a garage which was fair enough.
I left it about 10 days and got my wife too bring the car in for a quote for the work done.
I'm guessing that once he seen my mrs & a nice car he perhaps though he was onto a nice earner here and gave her a very nice written quote.
I got the quote and brought it too the pub where he had the accident (only too find out he was bar staff) and gave him the quote.
Needless too say he actually went and rang his friend in the garage too find out why the quote was so high.
I actually didn't have the time too bring the car in so my mrs did.
I got a cheque from him within s few days for the full price which was quoted from his mate.

Gordon,is a lad crash into me outside a pub many moons ago.i was actually sitting in my car and he reversed out into me.anyway out I get too talk and you could smell the drink off him.
He agreed too pay outside of insurance and told me his friend has a garage which was fair enough.
I left it about 10 days and got my wife too bring the car in for a quote for the work done.
I'm guessing that once he seen my mrs & a nice car he perhaps though he was onto a nice earner here and gave her a very nice written quote.
I got the quote and brought it too the pub where he had the accident (only too find out he was bar staff) and gave him the quote.
Needless too say he actually went and rang his friend in the garage too find out why the quote was so high.
I actually didn't have the time too bring the car in so my mrs did.
I got a cheque from him within s few days for the full price which was quoted from his mate.

So that's the garage that's exaggerating the cost and not the victim. And the claim wasn't done through insurance. An insurance company may use an assessor and/or seek more than one quote to ensure garages don't do this.

Back