Cost of Probate

S

Stomper

Can anyone give me an indication of how much I might expect to pay to a solicitor for handling probate on my late mothers estate.

Sorry for your loss...

Are you sure that probate is absolutely necessary? These topics/links might be of interest to you:

(mentions that probate may cost c. 3% of the estate value)

in nr irland we can get letters of administration dos away with the legal eagles

A Solicitor will charge you a percentage of the deceased person's estate and could take ages.

When my husband died suddenly without leaving a will I did the probate stuff myself by a applying for a personal grant of administration. The staff in the Probate Office were very helpful and I think I paid approx €350. The fee depends on the value of the deceased person's estate but is much cheaper and faster than using a solicitor. The link below sets out the scale of fees. They've probably gone up a bit since then but it's still definitely cheaper and faster than using a solicitor. One solicitor quoted me a fee of €10,000 !!!! I figured that this money was better spent on our kids than line the pockets of a solicitor

[broken link removed]

By the way the Oasis link above gives the old address for the Probate Office in Dublin. It's now located in Smithfield, near Chief O'Neills Hotel.

Hope this helps

Without more details of her estate, it is impossible to give even a ball-park figure and even the sensible advice about handling it yourself could be way off the mark.

If using a solicitor, I would strongly advise shopping around & getting a quote in writing from a few solicitors - but I suspect that this will not be easy to do.

Back