Coronavirus - latest global news - discuss Irish news the other thread

The number of coronavirus cases has risen in France to 7,730, which is 1,097 more than the previous 24 hours, writes my colleague Kim Willsher.
“There have been 175 deaths, an increase of 27 in a day. Jérôme Salomon, director of the French health authority, said 7% of those infected were under 70 years old. Of the sick, 699 are in intensive care, but 5,000 patients have recovered or are being treated at home. There are 2,575 patients still in hospital, but more than 600 people have been successfully treated and allowed to go home in the last 24 hours alone.
The French PM, Édouard Philippe, spoke on television last night: he warned the government was drawing up the necessary regulations to increase fines for those found breaking the national “confinement” from €38 to €135. This has now been published in the Official Journal so is in now in force. “Stay at home”, he told French citizens.
In the south of France, the influx of Parisians trying to escape to second homes has led to anger in certain places. There is a picture in the Sud Ouest newspaper of a large tag at Cap Ferrat reading: “Paris go home virus”, with the paper reporting that locals are annoyed that many Parisians have arrived from the capital, possibly with the virus.

Belgium is the latest country to go into lockdown, with citizens asked to stay at home and limit contact to their closest family.
From noon local time (CET), all non-essential shops and open-air markets will close and people will be expected to work at home.
Employers who require staff to be on site but cannot ensure social distancing face fines and even closure.
The measures are similar to those adopted by France24 hours earlier, but looser. People will be able to visit supermarkets, pharmacies, medical professionals, banks, post offices and bookshops.
Supermarkets must limit the number of customers to one per 10 square metres, meaning people are likely to have to queue outside, where they must also observe social distancing by standing well apart.
Going out for a walk or a run, or riding a bike is allowed, “even encouraged”, the authorities say, as long as people observe a distance of one and a half metres from anyone who is not a member of their household.

Schools in Scotland and Wales to close from Friday.

Spain to close all hotels as tourists advised to leave.

US president Donald Trump has just tweeted that the US-Canada border will be closed to “non-essential traffic”. Trump insists: “trade will not be affected”.

My sister was due into St Vincent’s Hospital tomorrow for a routine (for her) treatment but was informed by her consultant that there was COVID-19 in the hospital. She decided to postpone treatment.

My sister was due into St Vincent’s Hospital tomorrow for a routine (for her) treatment but was informed by her consultant that there was COVID-19 in the hospital. She decided to postpone treatment.

In the main hospital or the Private clinic? (If you know)

The coronavirus death toll in Italy has increased by 475, the highest number so far recorded any country in a single day, according to the latest figures from the Civil Protection Agency.

There are 9,134 people who have tested positive for the coronavirus in France, and there have been 264 deaths – an increase of 89 in the last 24 hours. Of those infected, 2,626 are in hospital; 931 of them in intensive care, half of whom are under 60 years old.

The European Union has urged online media platforms to stream movies and entertainment in standard rather than high definition to relieve pressure on the internet during the coronavirus pandemic... Thierry Breton, the EU Internal Market and Digital Economy Commissioner, warns the huge file sizes of such broadcasts are slowing the web just as many users are forced to work online from home.

74 new cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed this evening. There are now 366 cases in the Republic.
Six new cases were announced in Northern Ireland today, bringing the total number there to 68.

Department of Foreign Affairs advises Irish citizens to avoid travel to or transit through Germany.

I always assumed she attended the private clinic but I don't actually know. It was an OP procedure.

I believe, sadly, a patient died in Vincent's today. Had been in isolation and treatment for a number of days.

I wonder if that is what was meant by the comment.

London: 40 tube stations will be shut to slow the spread of coronavirus. TfL says it will run a reduced service to enable London’s critical workers to make essential journeys but there will be no Waterloo & City line from Friday, no night tube service and fewer buses.

Northern Ireland has recorded the first death of a patient who tested positive for Covid-19, the Department of Health has announced. The patient was described as elderly and as having an underlying medical condition. It takes the UK death toll to 105.

Russia has recorded its first death from coronavirus. The victim was a 79-year-old woman from Moscow who was taken to hospital late last week and died on Thursday in a Moscow infectious diseases hospital. Russian officials said that she had underlying conditions, including diabetes and hypertension.

EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier tests positive for covid-19.

Leaving cert oral exams cancelled and students given full marks.
I'm seeing if it's too late to re-sit my Irish and French!

THE PORT OF Cork has agreed a temporary suspension of operations with cruise lines as a result of the escalating global Covid-19 outbreak.
Cruise liners that were due to berth between now and 20 April have been cancelled. Cruise operations in the following months are now in question.

191 new cases, always going to happen with more extensive testing but made my stomach drop nonetheless.

Back