cooking for three, shopping/menu planner

sandrat

My mother in law is coming to visit for a month and my husband will be home for the month too so instead of grabbing a sandwich in between feeding/ winding /washing /feeding the baby I am going to have to make proper lunches and dinners for 3 adults aswell. Any ideas / websites that will help make planning and shopping a little easier?

What age is your baby? Do you have to feed him/her too? In which case I find the Annabel Karmel cookbooks very good- meals for all the family.

Mind you don't think I would be the one doing the cooking if Mr.V was at home and it was his mum coming...anyway he's a better cook than I am and his mother is a great sous chef. I'd let them at it if I were you!

baby is only 3 months so still exclusively breastfed which gives me less time. If my husband was in charge of food we'd live on cereal and youghurt and biscuits. His mother isn't the best cook either so its up to me, i'm looking for cheap quick freezable food i think or else stuff where you can turn leftovers into something else

There was a discussion about this book on the radio recently - it looks really good, haven't bought a copy yet, but you can get some of the shopping lists & recipes off the site (the ones for teh current week i think).

the easy food magazine give a weekly dinner menu along with the shopping list to go with it. its a budget menu so I'm not sure what the meals are like but have a look at their website and it might give you some ideas.

www.easyfood.ie

I like cooking and regularly do big batches of cooking/ freezing. While I regularly try out new recipes, I do find that the staples ( the "I just got in, I'm too tired to think, I just want something quick") are pretty constant.

So: Mains

Mince: chili, spag bol, tacos,
Chicken: roast, curry, baked ( halved, filled with pesto/cream cheese and wrapped in bacon), pie, stir fried
Pork : stuffed & baked, chops, stirfried
Beef: stew, roast
Veggie: lentils,

Accompaniments
Rice, ( plain, stirfried, egg fried, risotto)
Pasta - any number of different types
Potatoes - roast, boiled, mashed, fried

Light dishes
Home made soups
Baked potatoes
Sandwiches ( rashers, sausages, cheese, cooked meat, salad)

Salads - endless varieties ( green, tomato, potato, feta, lentil, broccoli/hazelnuts)

Desserts
Tarts, fruit salad, ice cream

I always have plenty of fruit and veg in the house as well

mf

Ah right, been there, done that. Well, at least make sure your husband or mother in law minds the baby while you cook!

I recently added a left over meal to my repertoire- so if I have roast chicken on one day ( handily your mother in law or husband can peel the potatoes, carrots, or whatever veg you use), the next day I use the left over chicken to make chicken noodles. This is the easiest meal ever- simply put the left over chicken in a saucepan with chicken stock ( use a good one, you can tell the diff), a splash of soy sauce, pepper and whatever herb you fancy, add some frozen peas and sweetcorn towards the end and some corn flour to thicken. Once the noodles are cooked put them in with the meat to flavour them for a few minutes and serve. Our children like this dish too. You can add whatever you fancy too- Mr.V adds onions and mushrooms but you don't need to.

I've ordered that kitchen revolution book on amazon now- thanks Mel- and am looking forward to a few more leftover dishes.

thanks for that - used to be addicted to that easy food mag when I was in work (work in a library) and I had completely forgotten about it.

I'll be doing some serioius housewifery for the next month methinks

Casseroles are great if you don't have time to be standing at the cooker. Chop a load of veg (or buy ready chopped), either a few big pieces of round steak or some oyster legs of chicken, mix up some chicken stock or a packet of powder mix and bung in the oven. Add some white wine to chicken or red to beef if you're feeling fancy. only a few minutes to prepare and then no looking after.

Check out http://allrecipes.com for some ideas - it has a huge variety.

I'd suggest that if the MIL is going to be there for a month, you keep it very simple at least once a week. What about an omelette and salad? MIL or hubbie could prepare a simple salad while you make the omelette - load it up with mushroom, ham, cheese, onion or even left over potatoes and it would be very filling and quick to make.

Heres another simple one;

1 tin of condensed soup - chicken / mushroom
1 tin of tomatoes
3 chicken breasts (1 per person)
Enough rice for 3 people
Mix soup and tin of tomatoes, stir in the rice (making sure its coated by the sauce) and pour over the chicken . Pop into the oven for about 40 mins or until chicken is fully cooked and serve.

Raw - once its covered by the sauce, it cooks in that in the oven. I find basmati rice works best. I've also tried this dish with uncooked pasta but its not as successful.