Conveyancing Fees

cremeegg

I am in the process of selling a house and the solicitor has most of the work done.

What should I expect to be charged as a fee for this work. We have not had any discussion re fees.

How do legal fees for selling compare with fees for buying.

I have a good relationship with the solicitor and wont quibble unless the fee seems excessive. But what is excessive ?

How long is a piece of string?

The only information you have given is that it's a house.
I am not sure what else is relevant.

The same solicitor acted for me in buying the house a decade ago. While obviously some complex legal issue might arise I do not expect it.

I am in the process of selling a house and the solicitor has most of the work done.

What should I expect to be charged as a fee for this work. We have not had any discussion re fees.

I have a good relationship with the solicitor and wont quibble unless the fee seems excessive. But what is excessive ?
I think you know what I am going to say. Good relationships can cease very quickly. Always get a price.
Had what I thought was a great relationship with a solicitor now judge. Sold a property and did not like the bill.
Was told that was the price of the work and thats what I would be paying.

I think you know what I am going to say. Good relationships can cease very quickly. Always get a price.
Had what I thought was a great relationship with a solicitor now judge. Sold a property and did not like the bill.
Was told that was the price of the work and thats what I would be paying.
Exactly this.

What size bill do you think would be unreasonable.

Exactly this.

What size bill do you think would be unreasonable.
Sorry but it was way back in 2002 and cant remember figures. Couple of friends bought apartments in the same block and all I can recall is my bill was much higher than both their solicitors bills. I do remember quoting what the others had payed to my friendly solicitor at the time in a friendly non aggresive conversation to no avail.

How do legal fees for selling compare with fees for buying.

it shouldnt be any more than 2.5k all in if straight forward, but its naive not to agree a price, some of the more excessive quotes i got were from 'mates', not sure if its because they dont it very often or what.

Random cross-section of solicitors' fees for 2024 sales that have crossed my desk this year to date:
€2,300 plus VAT
€2,300 plus VAT
€1,950 plus VAT
€1,800 plus VAT
€3,000 plus VAT
€2,200 plus VAT

It's a long time since I've heard from anyone in the course of my work that they were overcharged by their solicitor.

South East area, straightforward sale of old family home by executor (personal applicant )in 2021/22.

Quotes received ranged from €1,600 to €2,300, excluding vat and outlays.

We looked at moving earlier this year. Both properties similar in value 650-700k each.

One solicitor asked for 1% for sale only or 0.75% for sale and purchase, ex VAT. So either 6.5k or 10k ex VAT ....

Two others quoted ~€2k for sale or €3.5-4k for both ex VAT

Stayed put in the end but obviously would not be going near the first solicitor

One solicitor asked for 1% for sale only or 0.75% for sale and purchase, ex VAT. So either 6.5k or 10k ex VAT ....
Why would they charge a percentage of the sale? How does the work involved increase based on the market value of the house?

Back