Contributory Pension and Pension Recalculation Review

cautious kate

This is a bit complicated. I have been a Qualified Adult on my husbands reduced Contributory Pension since 2012 at which time I was within the means test. However, in 2014 when I reached pension age my self I was advised over the phone I would not be entitled to a pension in my own right as I did not have enough full rate contributions and it would be of more benefit to me to remain as a QA. I therefore did not make a formal application for pension. In 2015 our solicitor when making our wills, advised that it might be advisable to change our bank accounts into joint accounts. I unwittingly did not perceive this as a change in my financial circumstances and did not report it to SW. Now it looks like we will have to refund a substantial overpayment which we are quite willing to do. However, it would appear that under the Pension Recalculation Review, and having 18 years Homecaring, I may have been entitled to a reduced pension in my own right but I was not reviewed as I had not made a formal application for pension previously. If this is granted will it be taken into consideration as an offset against the overpayment? Surely there must be other women out there in the same situation who if they are entitled to a pension in their own right, even if it is less than QA, would then not have to worry about discrepancies in the means test??

Last edited:
Back