Continued to be paid salary after I left my job.

If the employer has incompetently paid the guy for two months, is there not a danger that they will mess it up?

I don't think that they are fiddling the system in any dishonest way.

It's as if they employer sent a payment to someone which they should not have done.

The solution here is simple.
  • The OP repays the net sums as soon as they can.
  • As they receive each repayment instalment, and until the entire overpayment is cleared the ex-employer records this under the OP's PPSN on each successive payroll run.
  • The cumulative Revenue deduction record will correct itself each time.
  • The end.
Any attempt by the OP in the meantime to force their ex-employer to essentially fiddle their payroll is likely only to cause unproductive aggro and confusion.
Only a fool would follow this advice, i.e. repay the money and then hope the same people who botched the payments get it right this time. When matters have been corrected and there’s no prospect of the OP being out of pocket, he or she should repay the final amount.

Only a fool would follow this advice, i.e. repay the money and then hope the same people who botched the payments get it right this time. When matters have been corrected and there’s no prospect of the OP being out of pocket, he or she should repay the final amount.
???

It's the employer's job to properly run their workplace payroll. It's the ex-employee's job to repay the net sums they've been overpaid. They should indeed demand the issue of a payslip on repayment of each instalment.

I can't fathom what you see wrong with this statement of the obvious.

Can the employer put through the reversal of payment in the Revenue system, and then the balancing part of journal to be posted is an asset on their BS/payroll clearing account? Then the employee can repay the net amount when they can see their record updated. Can happen same day.

???

It's the employer's job to properly run their workplace payroll. It's the ex-employee's job to repay the net sums they've been overpaid. They should indeed demand the issue of a payslip on repayment of each instalment.

I can't fathom what you see wrong with this statement of the obvious.
I’ll try to spell it out for you so…

If the employee repays the money and the former employer compounds the error by not treating it properly on the way back, the former employee’s next paycheck could be down, leaving him or her temporarily out of pocket.

I wouldn’t leave myself exposed with eejits who’ve already shown themselves to be incompetent.

A lot of dodgy advice here. Not aam's finest hour, in my opinion.

The company say you have been overpaid, and perhaps you have. Start by requesting a full statement of their view as to any overpayment that was made, including tax treatment.

If you agree their figures ask why the situation has arisen.

Ask how they propose to rectify the incorrect information given to Revenue.

I would seperately contact Revenue and find out how you go about having any tax credits that there applied to these two "salary" payments, reversed.
I would absolutely not approach Revenue, they are unlikely to just accept your word that you shouldn't have been paid the money. Even if they do, that is irrelevant from a tax point of view. You are taxable on what you were paid, not what you should have been paid.

I’ll try to spell it out for you so…

If the employee repays the money and the former employer compounds the error by not treating it properly on the way back, the former employee’s next paycheck could be down, leaving him or her temporarily out of pocket.

I wouldn’t leave myself exposed with eejits who’ve already shown themselves to be incompetent.
I don't think that at all contradicts my earlier comment. I did say:
They should indeed demand the issue of a payslip on repayment of each instalment.

I don't think that at all contradicts my earlier comment. I did say:
And my point is that, given the history, it would be foolhardy to say “here’s the money, now please can I have confirmation that you’ve corrected the position”.

“Show me the corrected position and I’ll give you the money lads.”

This can easily be done. For heaven’s sake, most people get payslips before they get the money.

And my point is that, given the history, it would be foolhardy to say “here’s the money, now please can I have confirmation that you’ve corrected the position”.

“Show me the corrected position and I’ll give you the money lads.”

This can easily be done. For heaven’s sake, most people get payslips before they get the money.
Agreed.
If the OP repays first and its not corrected paperwork-wise he may suffer and has no simple recourse.

If there were pension deductions it will complicate things as employer can't reclaim these if already paid over to provider.

A lot of dodgy advice here. Not aam's finest hour, in my opinion.

And what was our finest hour? When everyone agreed on something?

Different people have suggested different approaches to resolving this.

I don't think any of the advice is "dodgy". Maybe my suggestion that they should correct the error first might be dodgy, but I would prefer to see the error corrected and I doubt that Revenue is going to seek to jail me for it.

Brendan

Agreed.
If the OP repays first and its not corrected paperwork-wise he may suffer and has no simple recourse.

If there were pension deductions it will complicate things as employer can't reclaim these if already paid over to provider.
Correct. If the OP repays the money first, he or she is completely at the mercy of people who’ve already demonstrated incompetence, and who have less motivation to prioritise helping him or her, given they’ll be dealing with a former employee. The OP has leverage at the moment to ensure the matter is resolved to his or her satisfaction. It would be foolish to give that up.

I would be reluctant to pay it back first too without making sure my tax was up to date. Non standard things like this seem to take forever to resolve and need specific approvals internally.

I worked in payroll for years. Never heard of Gross being asked for, it's net pay which is usually what was paid into your bank account. Taxes PRSI etc are recouped by the employer. Can't see an issue we're a few months away from end of year. Was it a payroll person you spoke to?

We liked to get it back fast but usually agreed a sensible plan.

I thought that these days most or all references were simply confirmation that the individual worked for the company from one date to another with little or no additional details?

I was thinking more of the phonecall that gets made, rather when the bog standard letter that's issued (which is typically a two liner, as you have referred to).

I've had a few phone calls over the years, from people looking to check references. You are often asked things "off the record", in my experience.

Back