Contents of will

seed

Is it possible for a son/daughter to see the contents of a will written by a parent. Here's the story.

A couple of years ago, my gran pased away, leaving my uncle as executor. He gave my mum and 2 of her sisters an envelop with 1000 euro in it a day after the funeral (their inheritance, i suppose). Anyway, gran would have had a fair bit of money & items. Another sister, who is very close to brother did not receive envelop in same matter. It is felt they received a greater portion. That's ok if that is what gran intended. None of the 3 sisters want to stir things and approach brother or solicitor (who is a friend of brother)-is there anyway of getting this information?

Thanks, Seed

sounds very dodgy. Sounds like a divide and conquer but maybe i am being a negative nelly here.
I thought if you were getting something out of a will then the will was "read out" to all beneficiaries (at least this is what happens in TV land). If you have a EAP at work why not ring them and find out.

Why do you not just ask to see a copy of the will? If probate has been granted the will is publicly disclosable. See this from the Probate Office web site:

The Preservation of Probate Records and the Provision of Certified Copies of Documents
Records available to the Public:
Once a Grant of Probate or Administration has issued the original will, the schedule of assets and the documents grounding the application for a grant become available for inspection and copies may be obtained on payment of the appropriate fee by any member of the public. (section 42 of the Succession Act, 1965). The fees payable are prescribed in the Supreme Court and High Court (Fees) Order, 2003. The fee for making a search to see if a will has been proved or if a grant has issued is currently €2.00, an official copy of a will or grant costs €4.00, a copy of the schedule of assets (a breakdown of the deceased's estate) costs €9.00.

http://www.courts.ie/offices.nsf/lookuppagelink/7E5F49CBCDFFDBC280256E78005C7EE6?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,probate

Sounds dodgy to me too, it seems highly unlikely to me that probate could have been gone through is such a short time period as one day after the funeral.

Did she only have cash to leave or did she have a house, I think your uncle has deciced who gets what so I think you should see a copy of the will asap

Thanks for all your replies. I've mentioned requesting to see the will but Mum doesn't want to upset anyone. Grans assets were all cash as her house was given to my uncle before she passed away.

Thanks again, Seed

Back